Sunday, April 17, 2016

All Big Girls Now


So the big girls have become tweens, and the little girls have become big girls.

I would definitely say their adjustment to the move has been easier than their big sisters, which is about what I expected. Their new school is not a whole lot different from their old school - just a lot newer but since it's in the same district, things operate relatively the same. They are in 2nd grade and this year ride the bus home. After a fiasco of not getting off the bus in the right place the first two days of school, they gave it another try about a month later and now get off where most of the neighborhood kids get off. The kids often run around and play. Reagan begs me to stay every day, and Ashley begs me to go home every day. She's ready to go home I guess. Ashley has a really good friend, Robyn, that she met at swim team this summer and they have been great friends this year. Ashley loves it that the girl has really blond hair like her. And they are both nutty so they get along great. Reagan is mostly friends with a bunch of boys this year, with her closest friend being Tate. They are just adorable and love hanging out together.

They've each also had a bit of stardom this year. Last summer they both went to musical theater camp and got to do the play Frozen. Is that not every little girl's dream? Well, Reagan had several smaller parts, including a brief Teen Elsa, a Troll, and a snowflake in Let It Go. Ashley, to our surprise mainly because of her young age, played Anna!! She was grown-up Anna, and came in at the part where the parents died. For someone who is terrified in front of people, but has an AMAZING voice, she did fabulous. I don't know how she did all those lines, except the fact that she's seen the movie 1,000 times probably helped a lot! It was very cool to watch my littlest child up there on stage singing her heart out as Anna. She caught the bug and wants to do more so hopefully this next year we will get her more involved with acting and singing. 



Reagan, too, is a born performer. This year she is part of the dance studio company with her big sister Mackenzie. At 7 years old (now 8), Reagan is the youngest girl in the competition group but she is just as good as her whole Apprentice Company group. In fact, she has tremendous stage presence! I always tell her I'm not letting her ever quit dance because I think she really shines. So she got to go to San Antonio this past December for their big competition. They received the Judges Choice Award for their category, dancing to Kids in America!



They also are in Girl Scouts this year as Brownie Scouts. Just as we retired from my older girls' troop, I started over and am now one of the co-leaders of Ashley and Reagan's troop. It's going ok - once again the troop needs some work, not a lot unlike the last one at first, but I think they are overall enjoying it. Sometimes I personally tire of it, but I think it's a good experience and they will look back on it with fond memories so I guess for now we will keep going.


Also this year Reagan played on an all-boy basketball team (thanks to me not signing her up on time in the girls' league) and she did quite well. I've realized she plays great defense in sports. She misses soccer but it doesn't quite work out with dance. Not sure if she'll go back to basketball but she was an integral player for the team. 


Ashley has been taking a tumbling class. She says she doesn't like it (though I think she would say that about anything she has to go to at this point - just like her sister Kaitlyn was!). But I see potential for her in gymnastics and I think it suits her. Not sure if she will do it next year or not. 

So this has been what these girls have been up to this school year, which will be coming to a close shortly! That and these girls turned 8 in January! So that means they are finally in Senior Primary at church and they were baptized in February! (But I'll save all that for a separate post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment