Friday, July 10, 2009

Twin Challenge #1 - Shots

It's funny - everyone always says it must be a pain changing all those diapers. Well, not that I don't enjoy being up to my ears in poop some days, but that is the least challenging thing about multiples. Diapers are quick and they're easy. After my first set was born, I realized unless you have had twins or cared for twins, you just don't know what you don't know. The challenges are things you would never think of. So as they come along I'm going to write about them. And I will do the same with the advantages, though at the younger stages there will probably be fewer of those. So please don't think I'm being negative. Just being honest!

So yesterday I had to take my little ones for their 18-month checkup. They also had to have a booster shot. So as Reagan watches, she sees Ashley going crazy and then she starts getting all upset because not only is she sad for Ashley, but she knows what's coming her way. As they get older this will get worse and worse, often to the point of hysteria before they even have the shot. So Ashley gets the shot, and this is the other problem...instead of holding my screaming baby who just had the shot, I have to put her back in the stroller as quickly as possible because the nurse is just standing there with a needle, now waiting for Reagan. Thankfully yesterday Ashley calmed down quickly (I came prepared with a bottle and it worked!). So I was able to quickly take Reagan, and then poor Ashley saw Reagan getting her shot, and Ashley started sobbing watching Reagan. Just one of those things where I wish I could stand there and hold my baby as long as she needs me to. But it can't be.

1 comment:

  1. Dop I think shots are the hardest thing, and I never thought that when Charlie was a baby - it's now, when he is older and knows to dread it and feel betrayed by my "letting" it happen. He is usually so easygoing but when they come in with the shot stuff he just loses his mind. It feels horrible! I can imagine how much worse it is times two!! There is just no way to explain vaccinations in a way that they will understand.

    ReplyDelete