Now that I’ve given a little background on myself, I want to introduce my girls, both the good and the not so good, so you know what things are really like around here. So far 3 of the 4 seem to have very strong personalities. The first two are very strong-willed, we’ll see about the second two. But I have to say, they are all FULL of personality. Things will never be boring at our house.
Mackenzie (turning 5) is a truly unique person. Her personality is one of a kind. Her interests include reading, puzzles, activity books, coloring, and computer games. She enjoys ballet and swimming. She loves to dance and sing and knows the words to just about everything. Her memory is incredible. It is almost photographic and it will serve her well in life. She loves flowers and princesses and playing dress-up. She recently discovered how much she loves roller coasters, too! She wasn’t afraid to ride anything! Though she IS afraid of creepy kind of stuff. She is all girl – wants to wear nothing but dresses and daydreams of her wedding, children and home when she grows up. She is also not at all afraid to get dirty. I’m not sure why but she seems to enjoy making a big mess! This includes digging in the dirt in the backyard, putting her head in the sand at the beach, and being really messy at the table! She has become VERY social and will talk to anybody. Once she gets started it is hard to get her to stop! She talks fast too! Even when we put her to bed at night she just keeps talking. This must be why she makes friends so easily. She has a kind heart and is a friend to everyone. At the same time she has always played really well by herself. She is really smart and she loves school! I think she loves everything about it! I think she will really enjoy kindergarten. She will probably be the kid in school that always has her hand up and wants to answer every question. She also asks a million questions – why is a desk called a desk? Why did God make TV’s? Those are the types of questions she asks day in and day out. She loves to challenge her mind and is one smart little girl.
As for her personality & the challenges we have with her, Mackenzie is quite hard-headed. She does not like to listen or take help from other people. She is also very independent (a strength for her but a challenge for mommy & daddy at times!). Generally she is a very easy-going child who goes with the flow (much appreciated by me). But when she has her moments, watch out! She has quite a temper! She can dig her heels in, argue just to argue, and can do outlandish things to get attention or be spiteful. But most of the time she is very cooperative. Even though she makes BIG messes around the house (she goes from toy to toy, dumping out all the pieces and leaves a trail of toys everywhere she goes), she will clean them up when asked. The biggest challenge we have with her is probably blatant disobedience at times, which really pushes my buttons. She is a drama queen, as are many little girls, and loves getting lots of attention. But the thing I have always loved most about Mackenzie is how endearing she is – she loves to love! She loves to snuggle and hug and kiss, and she wants love in return.
Kaitlyn (turning 5) is also one of a kind! I am recently reading a book on “spirited” children and am surprised to find that there are other children out there who share so many of her same qualities. Spirited children are described as more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and energetic. Kaitlyn is all of these things. She is intense in both directions – either high as a kite and bouncing off the walls or completely distraught (though I am finally seeing some improvement in her ability to deal with disappointment). She is very sensitive, both emotionally and physically. Lots of things bother her or agitate her. She is keenly perceptive – her attention to detail is incredible! Not only does she notice the little things all around her, but her understanding of how the world works and various concepts is well beyond her years. Her persistence – what can I say? I didn’t know it was possible for a child to persist to the extent that she does. Makes for really bad and frequent meltdowns. At the same time, what a great quality to help her be successful in life (just don’t use it on me – ha ha!). Her energy level is also high – she is constantly moving. Never still. And then she crashes (thank goodness!).
As for her interests, her favorite is drawing. Her artistic ability continues to impress me. She often can draw freehand better than I can. I have started a collection of all her drawings – and she’s not afraid to attempt anything. She loves building and making things. She is very creative and comes up with ideas all the time – what a gift! Funny though because she also destroys lots of stuff. She is obsessed it seems with picking at stuff. Her curiosity gets the best of her. She gets great satisfaction out of ripping things and cutting things. These are often things that can't be repaired, like wallpaper, cords on the blinds, and she recently cut a nickel-sized hole out of her beloved blanket. She is a pack-rat and treasures every scrap of trash and otherwise that she can get her hands on. Little tiny things, even tiny scraps of paper, are gold to her and she wants to save everything. On the flip side, she is a giver. She loves to make and give things to people. She enjoys singing around the house, though is not that interested in music at school or at church. I think that is because she has to sit in a structured environment and she is more of a free spirit. She is very coordinated and athletic, and has the aggression and competitiveness to go along with it. She is very much a tomboy – she likes snakes and reptiles and scary things. But she also enjoys looking pretty and watching princess movies! So far she takes dance and swimming and gymnastics, though I am not sure which ones she enjoys the most. So we will see! She also loves to nurture her stuffed animals and babydolls, and she carries over her nurturing to her baby sisters. She loves to entertain them and help me take care of them.Lastly, I couldn’t let you completely know who Kaitlyn is without mentioning her many, minor physical ailments. First let me say that we are grateful that they are all minor. I know many parents who would give anything to trade their children’s problems with mine. At the same time, no parent likes to see their child have any physical issues whatsoever. From birth, Kaitlyn has had lots of digestive issues. We still haven’t quite put our finger on it. We recently had her tested for celiac disease, and thankfully it was negative, but it has left us still baffled. Maybe she just has a sensitive stomach or immature digestive system but it manifests itself in many ways that I won’t go into. On top of that, Kaitlyn has allergy-induced asthma. She has been getting allergy shots since before she was 3 years old. Our frequency is now every 3 weeks (starting weekly 2 years ago). That has helped her to not get sick as often. I wouldn’t do the shots for a child so young except that when she gets sick, then the asthma comes. She does breathing treatments (now only when she is sick but it used to be daily) and I’ve yet to find anything that really helps her stop coughing when the asthma gets bad, except a medicine that has codeine in it. Bless her heart. I try to keep its use to a minimum – only at night when the coughing attacks flair up the most. But Kaitlyn is such a trooper she just toughens up and deals with it. It seems with her there is always something physical going on and we just deal with each thing as they come. But the two that have always been a consistent problem are the two just mentioned. Still we try to focus on our blessings and not on our trials.
So those are my two older girls! They are quite a pair but also a lot of fun! What a lucky family to have such two strong personalities – even if it does mean more intensity for us all! I know they will grow up and have much to offer the world and those around them!
Dop, I love that you are posting this stuff, not only because I think you will be glad to look back at it someday... but b/c I get to know my Dop's girls through it!! We don't get to talk often enough so now I have a way to stay updated with you and the family. Love you Dop, keep it up!!
ReplyDelete