Okay, so I haven't been blogging because apparently I have to pay now to include more pictures. I will probably do that but haven't taken the time to figure it out. But I wanted to just write about something that just made me probably the most excited I've been yet this Christmas season.
I feel a little bit like Charlie Brown, or Cindy Lou Who. I seem to feel this way more and more every year. The commercialism of Christmas has gone so far. And yet I do enjoy many of these things, and I don't think they're bad. But every year I feel funny because we are at a point where we don't NEED anything. So the gift-giving seems a little strange to me.
I DO still LOVE buying my kids gifts. To me that is usually the highlight of the Christmas season. I know they need nothing, but I love giving to them! And so do all their grandparents and everyone else! Then I end up feeling like a glutton after it's all done. We donate when and where we can. The kids all donate gifts at school. We step up to the plate when we see other needs. But sometimes I feel like my kids aren't SEEING it. Do they understand? Do they truly appreciate the blessings in their lives? At their age I can say all I want but those are just words. I think they understand to a degree. But again, it continues to bother me. And it's not just the kids but all the adults giving gifts seems strange to me because we just don't really need to. But we love each other and so we want to.
So what am I excited about? I just got a phone call from someone asking us to do something rather large for a family in need. Something tangible that the kids can see what we're doing and why. It's not something frivolous and would really help a family out of a bind. And I am excited!
We try to keep Christ the focus of Christmas, but the truth is I think all the fun and presents just take over! And yet I don't want to eliminate all the fun stuff. Christmas is so magical, but it's truly the Spirit of Jesus Christ that people around the world are feeling so much stronger during the Christmas season, even for many who don't recognize that that's what it is. Wouldn't it be wonderful if people were more giving (not meaning presents necessarily) and friendly and caring the rest of the year?
A question asked at our women's group Christmas party a few years ago was "What gift can you give the Savior this year?" Think about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment