Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Silver Spur Dude Ranch


As an early 40th birthday present, I planned a weekend trip for Mike and the kids to go to Bandera, TX (northwest of San Antonio) to the Silver Spur Guest Ranch. It's basically a dude ranch, but I learned that most of the dude ranches that Bandera is famous for and not quite like the City Slickers working ranch. They are just fun and relaxing. In fact, this was a FABULOUS vacation and one of the most relaxing I have ever taken with the kids and highly recommend it!

We went on a Friday that we had off of school. Got there in the evening and had time to play on the playground.


We also decided after checking in to take a walk around the grounds. There were animals everywhere!


We went down to the pasture to checkout the longhorn. I told Mike I wasn't too sure if they should be getting so close to the longhorns. I mean, they're not bulls, but still. I'm sure they could do some damage with those horns. Mike on the other hand never thinks anything will happen.


Look at the babies!


Okay, funny story. We could see the rain clouds coming (and had been lucky so far that we had escaped them). So we decided to head back to the lodge. As we would walk back about 15 feet or so, then we would stop and turn and look back. The longhorn apparently were following us because they were staying about the same distance and had moved from where we left them. But even though we knew they were following us, every time we turned and looked back, this is what we saw. Do they look like they are following us? No, they look like they are eating and minding their own business. This happened about 3 times and Mike and I got so tickled because it was as if they were trying to pretend they weren't following us! I can just hear them, "Okay everyone, they're turning around! Pretend like you're grazing!" So funny. And the reason they WERE following us is because the lodge often does a hayride in the evening and they go feed the longhorns. Good thing they didn't eat us I guess.


We made it back to the lodge and the rain hit quickly. And it rained and rained and rained. This is the saddest picture I have ever seen.


We hung out in the lodge most of the evening. There was so much to do in there! Guitar...


Mackenzie dazzled everyone playing the antique piano...


There were tons of games and puzzles. Ashley and Reagan loved playing Sorry.


There was a pool table, foosball table, ping pong on the porch, and a 3-legged dog named Odie.


The next morning we were supposed to go horseback riding on a trail ride, but the rain was not done. After a couple hours hanging out in the lodge and waiting on it to dry up enough, we finally decided to drive into town for lunch and a little shopping on Main Street. Supposedly they have "gun fights" in the street. Apparently the rain prevented that too, but we found the gunslingers right here in the General Store. Ashley thought they were too scary looking and instead of taking a picture she decided to hide in the bathroom! The rest of them had to be talked into it too. Reagan was the first to agree and only if I was in the picture.


We took old timey photos in the back of some store that had a photo shop set up.


Finally in the afternoon we were able to go on the horses. It was a nice trail ride. Horses make me a bit uneasy, especially when my children are on them. But I figured they wouldn't get too wild given they do this all the time. Have to have faith and have fun! And we did.



Until this happened...


My horse for some reason liked to walk to the left. I had to kick away a few bushes and things and had to steer him now and then back to the middle. He did, however, at the end start getting too close to the fence. He was trying to avoid a dip in the ground. I didn't think he would drag his own body against the fence though, but he did. And my leg was sticking about 3 inches past his body and just completely smashed my knee between him and the fence (that had NO give) as he dragged my leg across the fence. Pain instantly began shooting through my entire left leg and I yanked the reigns. He slipped a little into the dip but all I could think of was saving my leg! It doesn't look completely bad in the photo, but if it did that UNDERNEATH my jeans it was pretty rough. Also it was swelling up fast. This was about 5 or 6 weeks ago and it still hurts to put weight on my knee. The inside feels fine now but the outside bruise is still there.

Unbeknownst to everyone else that this had JUST happened, we came in the pen and Mike's telling me to smile for a picture. So here I am smiling and dying at the same time. 


The kids all really had fun though and got to pet their horses when it was over while trying to avoid the giant mud pit we were in. Mackenzie was very unsuccessful and ran directly across mud so thick it was probably 5 inches down. Sigh. So much for new school tennis shoes!

Later we got to enjoy the sun and hang around before dinner. Kaitlyn spent a lot of time drawing things around the ranch.


Here's one of my favorite photos of Reagan I have ever taken. Gorgeous!


She LOVED the donkeys.


Soon it was time for dinner. Okay, the food. Oh. my. gosh. For me this was the best part. All meals (3 a day!) were home cooked and served in the lodge. They were so yummy, healthy, and all I had to do was show up when they rang the dinner bell! I could live like that.

After dinner, we went on the hayride.



We came back to the our friends the longhorns (that is hard to say being an Aggie and all!).



After the hayride we came back and had s'mores around the campfire.


The next morning we got to go on one more trail ride. I passed, given that I could barely walk. Here are the kids waiting for their horses.


 Another trail ride followed by some late September COLD swimming since we'd had so much rain.


 We really were just waiting around for lunch before we headed home. Mike and Mackenzie made an attempt at calf-roping. They finally got one at a little close range! Not so easy when no one's there to show you what to do. But the lassos were already ready at least.



And in honor of his upcoming 40th birthday, I thought it was fitting that Mike take a picture in front of the Old Fogie Tree. (Never mind that I am already 40 - this trip was about HIM.)


It seriously was a great time. GREAT place for family reunions or maybe a weekend with another family. So laid back, plenty for the kids too, and no worrying about feeding the minions. First time in Bandera after living in Texas all my life, but I have a feeling it won't be my last!

No comments:

Post a Comment