For the last 6 weeks, it seems I've had numerous circumstances arise that require the mama bear in me to come out. Only there's one problem - I'm not much of a mama bear. I absolutely hate conflict. It gives me anxiety and makes me feel like I'm going to pass out. I also tend to shrug a lot off because things just don't affect me that greatly most of the time. Don't get me wrong - I will speak up when I need to, I just don't like to. It doesn't come naturally to me. I stay away from conflict for the most part. The unfortunate thing is, sometimes it may not be necessary but maybe what I have to say or my opinion might be valuable. In fact I know it is.
But back to what's been going on lately. I'm having to speak up and deal with so many things and people. Some of this goes back to the girl drama. That was one of the hardest issues for me. And I won't disclose too much to protect those involved but after a month of my daughter coming home with all kinds of stories, I finally knew it was time to speak to the mother, who was my friend. All in all it went well, thankfully. I'm glad I said something. Still not sure how it will all come out in the end, but I know I did the right thing.
But now there's another kid with another daughter. She'd been telling me things lately too. While out trick or treating, I saw him push her the minute she came near him. For no reason. It was all kind of chaotic and I was right there so I gave him a bit of a talking to. It's hard because the parent in this case is someone I'm just starting to get to know and don't know how to even approach it.
Then in gymnastics I had to speak up because I don't think my daughter's instructors who are more interested in chit chatting with each other than they are teaching the kids should be allowed to continue to do that. So I addressed it. The gym is offering me a few free makeup classes. Glad I spoke up.
In my 6th grader's ELA class, they read a book aloud in class and she told me about a line in there that I find to be inappropriate. Sigh. Why? Why is there something inappropriate for required reading? This is the last thing I want to let go, but after looking fort her into it I think it was pretty much one line in the whole book said by a character that's supposed to be kind of a jerk, so I'm going to let it slide. I probably shouldn't, but I am.
There have been a few other things as well. Things just keep happening and I'm tired of it. But I also think I guess I need to just suck it up and deal with what I gotta deal with. I know - I'm my child's biggest advocate. Don't worry - I AM speaking up - I just wish the world were perfect so I didn't have to.
No comments:
Post a Comment