I am still trying to use what little free time I have to get organized from Christmas & the little girls’ birthday, when I got thrown a curve ball this week. Sick little girl with a UTI (urinary tract infection). Much time and lack of sleep has been devoted to her this week and my house (along with my own mental and physical well-being) has paid the price. So yesterday I looked around at the clutter that I just cannot keep up with. I think everyone knows what I mean. More stuff comes in than I can put away, mainly because I don’t know where to put half of it. I can’t even imagine when all 4 are in school what will come home every day. Plus all the junk mail. All the stuff they make. The toys they scatter. Things that break that need to be taped, hot glued, or sewn. My mom used to constantly says things like “Why don’t you just water your plants? That takes 2 seconds!” But I have a million things to do that all take 2 seconds and it would take all day if you added them all up. But in her defense she doesn’t say that stuff too much anymore. I think she finally sees my reality. But as I looked around the disaster yesterday, I couldn’t help but think….
How can I water my plants when my countertop looks like this?
How can I fold 6 piles of laundry when the top of my dryer looks like this?
How can I organize the girls’ art supplies when the living room looks like this?
How can I write thank you notes when the little girls’ playroom looks like this?
And lastly, how can I write a blog when I have all these things plus a hundred more to do? Well, that’s different. Writing about it is keeping me sane and it’s important to me, now that I have SOME energy, that I document this journey I am – the journey I call “Motherhood, the Short and Intense Plan.” This journey only happens once and my memory won’t be so clear so I am MAKING time for it. Just like I make time for the DVR every night.
It's amazing how similar our thoughts are. I'm always looking around my house and wondering "how can I possibly do everything??!!"
ReplyDeleteOh just wait until all the girls are in school....it's paperwork galore! Cole and Bella each come home with about 3 worksheets that they did in class, along with maybe 1 or 2 art projects. I have NO clue what to do with most of it! I cannot imagine what it'll be like when the little twins are in school.
A mom of 9 kids suggested to me to scan the artwork and then toss it (saving only the ones which really need to be saved, like ones with handprints and sentimental value). Then keep all the scanned pictures in a folder on the computer so they're always accessible.
It's a good plan though I haven't done it yet!!! I keep telling Tim we need to buy a bigger house so we have more room for everything but I know that will only make it worse!
I can SO relate! I have 3 year-old twin boys who I just started potty-training. Don't know if they're fraternal or identical (I've been told both, and they're starting to look more and more alike!). I also have a 4 month-old baby boy. But TWO sets of twins!!! My jaw is on the floor, and my hat is off to you!
ReplyDeleteThe clutter is sometimes overwhelming (your dryer looks like mine!) - I feel like I just move piles of stuff from one place to another. At the same time, having 3 kids has forced me to "go with the flow" and not be so driven about keeping my house so organized. But it IS maddening at times!
I sometimes get so overwhelmed with the stuff I just end up doing nothing about it! That's probably very bad to admit.... I feel as long as everyone get food to eat and clean clothes to put on and there's toilet paper in the house they should be happy!
ReplyDeleteYes there is always something to do. I find if I have pressing things that must get done I make a list of the most important to the least important. One thing I make sure to do (weather permitting of course!) is go for a short 20 min walk with the kids and the dog if I can handle her,LOL Poor kid, I have never had a UTI but I understand they are painful! Hope she is better soon! :)
ReplyDeleteOh My Gosh!! That was GREAT!!! I LOVED it! And I even loved it more that you were brave enough to post the pictures for proof!! You crack me up! You know, I am already running around ragged, from sun up to sun down, trying to keep up with the house, husband, kid, dog, career, etc, and the thought of having even 1 more makes me want to break out in hives....haha...I give you TONS of credit that your house looks as good as it does with 4 little girls!!! Your house looks beautiful. Can't wait to see yall the first weekend in March! We really will have most of the weekend open to spend with yall, besides when the wedding actually is! We'll call you soon and discuss all the plans!
ReplyDelete