The other night I just had to laugh. My older girls probably fight these days more than they get along. I tell them all the time how lucky they are to not only have a sister but a twin. What I wouldn't have given to have that. Maybe one day they will appreciate what they have. But I walked up to their room to get them ready for bed and Kaitlyn is sniffling. I ask what's wrong. Her reply in a sad crying voice: "Mackenzie says she doesn't care about my loveness for her." Sniff, sniff.
I just stood there silent for a minute. I'm not even sure what that means, much less how to respond. That's when Mackenzie says "I didn't say I don't LOVE her. I DO love her. I just don't care about her loveness for ME."
Oh, well that clears things up. Kaitlyn responds "but she said she only loves me for my silliness but she doesn't love me." Mackenzie: "I just don't care about your loveness for ME Kaitlyn." Kaitlyn: sob, sob, sob.
Poor kid - she's such a sensitive soul. But the word "loveness" is a new one for me.
Here are a few other funny things they've said and done over the last several months. I've been writing them all down but I better hurry up and put them on my blog before they're lost forever.
When school started, we went to buy school clothes, and Mackenzie, who's obsessed with clothes, dresses, etc and wants everything to twirl and flare out, completely cracked me up. Every time we went in a dressing room she would try on her dress or skirt and then sit on the floor and say "Wait - I have to see how this looks when I sit criss-cross applesauce." Then she would sit Indian style (You know, the old school term. Sorry if it is not politically correct. To my kids I say criss-cross applesauce but in my head it will always be Indian style.) and fluff out her skirt and just stare at herself in the mirror for a minute.
This makes me remember another instance when she was maybe not even 4. In primary (the Sunday school program at our church), she got picked to do something in front of the whole junior primary. When it was her turn she put her hands up and said "Wait! First I have to twirl my dress!" She did a little spin for everyone and then she was good to go! If only I had been there but the primary leaders shared that little story with me.
This instance was shortly followed by our first family inside joke. It's really nice that the girls are getting old enough for us all to share some humor! The weekend before school started we gave the girls some ideas on how to make new friends. We told them they could tell someone "I like your shirt" or "I like your dress" and then I realized some of these friends might be boys so I came up with "I like your backpack." Well, before school started they went to church and their lesson that day was on being nice to others. They each had to go around the class and say something nice about somebody. I forget which one it was but one of them told one of the kids at church "I like your backpack!" Only problem...no one at church brings a backpack. The teacher must have thought that was the strangest comment but we all got a good laugh because we knew how that came about.
Then there was the time that Mackenzie leaned in to give Kaitlyn a big hard kiss. I guess it was a bit much for Kaitlyn because she yelled at her and said "Mackenzie! You almost sucked out my eyeball!"
And we couldn't help but chuckle a couple months ago when Mackenzie informed everyone that "when you become a grandma you get fat!"
Last month Mackenzie (who's reading like a champ!) decided she should try to teach Kaitlyn to read. Kaitlyn doesn't even like it when I try to work with her. Imagine how she feels when her twin is doing it. So Mackenzie points to the first word of the book. You know how some books the first letter of the first word is really huge? Well the first word of this particular book was "When" and she pointed to it and asked Kaitlyn "Now what is this?" Kaitlyn responded "A great big W!" Well, Kaitlyn wasn't exactly wrong, now was she?
And lastly, every day we drive through the back roads and cow pastures to school. You would not believe how many ant beds there are. Hundreds, probably thousands of these huge mounds of little demon creatures. It actually gives me the creeps to think about them. But Kaitlyn, in her very logical mind, asked why we don't have anteaters in Texas? She said God should make them HERE because we have so many ants. I certainly can't argue with that.
So there you have it. The minds and wisdom of 5-year-olds.
I LOL at the one about the sucking out her eyeball! You have some cute little girls for sure!
ReplyDeleteyeah I was rollin' when I was reading some of the stuff. It is nice when you can talk to your children and have a conversation and make jokes, ect. They are becoming little people and it is nice to see! :)
ReplyDelete