Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Threw The Binky Away...


Well, I've been putting off the inevitable. Let's face it. Sometimes it's just easier.  We have several BIG transitions coming up - big girl beds, potty training, and taking the binky away.  I'm really avoiding all 3 but I also know you can't do them all at once. That's too much stress for a small child.  So wouldn't working on the binky be a good one to start with? But then there's the whole wasp nightmare thing and blah blah blah.

So yesterday Mackenzie hoisted Reagan up to show her something in the kitchen sink. When she did it a second time I said "Watch out honey, don't pick her up like that cuz she could hit her face on the counter." (Smack!) She immediately hit her mouth on the counter.  I might as well have just told her to do that. Probably me telling her jolted her a bit and then it happened.  So Reagan bumped one of her front teeth. I think she chipped it a tiny bit.  But no blood or anything though the tooth was a tad bit wiggly.

I remember when Ashley hit her front teeth a few months ago the dentist said sometimes you can move the tooth before it tightens up again.  Well the binky has been pushing Reagan's teeth out and causing me great concern, so I did push it back down a tad.  I think it moved it a tiny bit?? But I also knew if I gave her the binky it might push out even more.  No way was I going to do that! Plus it would have hurt because her tooth was very sore. 

So I didn't let her have it for her nap yesterday.  She cried forever and didn't sleep. Last night Mike put her down and he told her it was lost.  Hmmm, so I decided to just stick with that.  She slept fine last night actually. Probably because her Daddy put her down and let's face it, these kiddos know whose strings to pull and whose not to.

So I decided, we already made it through one day. Why give it back to her and then just have to start over in the near future?  So it's lost (wink, wink).  It was so hard to bring myself to throw it away, but I did it.  I hope I don't regret it. It's not too late to go dig it out. 

After her nap today I wanted to cave.  After lots of crying she got quiet for a while and it seemed that she might have slept about 45 minutes.  Then she started crying again.  When I went in to get her though, here is what I found:




A ha!  She's playing hardball!  She got in BIG trouble for this one! Her only saving grace is that that border is going to be replaced when she gets her big girl bed.  But still!  I was LIVID!  (And her bed was already about a foot from the wall because I noticed her starting to pick at it once but luckily she never peeled anything off.)

And I feel so bad telling her it's lost. So dishonest. I feel like I'm wronging her.  But we all know I can't tell her I threw it away. She would never accept that. I hope this is quick because I have a feeling the big girl beds are closer than I think.  We took them on vacation and might have created two little monsters!


4 comments:

  1. Ugh!! I am dreading this. My quads still use their binkies to sleep. We haven't let them walk around with them since they were around 9 mos, but as soon as I put those kids in their cribs-- the binky is in their mouth. They sleep well, so I hate to mess with their sleep routine. I had set 2 yrs as the binkie deadline, but that is only 3 wks away! I'm starting to stress.
    I think you're doing the right thing with the cold turkey method. You'll probably have a couple days of tears, but hopefully she'll forget about it pretty soon.
    Yeah, I would have been pretty furious about the border too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help but laugh at how she's "playing hardball"!!!

    We did away with Baby B's binky (cold turkey) when he was about 18 months old. He only used it when he slept. The first 20 minutes of the first night went surprisingly well - he just whimpered a little. Then he let out a ferocious scream and started smacking his hands together out of anger. This continued for about another half an hour until he fell asleep. He'd wake up periodically throughout the night and smack his hands together, and as soon as he woke up in the morning he did the same thing! It only took a few nights. Hang in there, don't give in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh what a memory. The binky! We waited WAY too long with Charlie. Hard to imagine that he was over 3!!! Whoa. That is delayed parenting I think!!

    But really - looking back it wasn't as bad asI expected. Stay tough Dop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, be tough. I let my first born have his binky for a long time, too long and when we tossed it, I think we said it was "lost" too.

    ReplyDelete