Sunday, August 8, 2010

Scary, Scarier, Scariest

About a month ago I was going to write a post about Reagan's new word - "scary."  It was actually going to be very funny.  Because you know what she said when she first used it?  She STILL gets upset when I put my hair up (which is going to be up for another month or so as long as we are in such hot weather). So I asked her why she doesn't like it, do I not look like Mommy or what?  She said in her sad sweet little pouty voice, "because...it's...it's scary!"  Wow!  I never knew THIS...


...was so frightening! Maybe I should rethink my summer hairstyle. (Not that it's something glamorous, but very functional at least.)

But since then she's described many things as scary.  I've already forgotten what they were but most of them were kind of funny - church, babysitters, stuff like that.

But NOW some real fears are starting to develop.  We have a lot of afternoon thunderstorms here and this year has been no exception.  So she is now officially afraid of thunder.  It wakes her from her nap if it's kind of close.  I guess that's okay. She is at least handling it.

But then there was 10 days ago.  We were playing in the backyard.  The many annoying wasps were flying around as usual.  I went inside to pour someone a drink and then heard Reagan screaming. Somehow I just knew.  She was sitting in her playhouse screaming that the wasp got her!  I pulled her out and she did have a little red dot on the inside of her calf.  Bless her heart.  We got out the ice pack and nursed it the rest of the day.

It wasn't really even swollen (though I did notice the next day that her leg just seemed a little big overall than the other leg).  But let me tell you...I'm afraid this child has been forever changed.  That night she woke up screaming in the middle of the night, clinging to the corner of her crib, saying that there was a wasp in her bed.  How traumatizing!  So I pulled her out and slept with her on the couch.  For about a week I didn't get a lot of sleep, several times she woke up thinking there were bugs.  And now everytime she sees a bug that flies she starts screaming, no matter how far away they are.  She even woke up one time and was scared because a butterfly was supposedly in her bed. 

So now she sleeps with the light on.  She is slowly getting better and we are finally getting more sleep, but I think she's developed a new fear that may stay with her a long time.

And to think I was about to get rid of the binky.

3 comments:

  1. Lucy and Elsa used to be deathly afraid of bugs at this age (but maybe not waking in the night afraid:). To help with their fears, I bought them their own fly swatters that were just their own to hold to kill anything that came at them. They never killed anything, but it made them feel more empowered. Soon their fears subsided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look amazing with your hair up!! Funny thing is when I wear my hair down my kids freak out because all they ever see me is with a ponytail. When I wear it down, it usually means I'm going out with friends for a Mommy's Night Out.

    Poor Reagan...sorry about the wasp sting! It can be very traumatizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh at the use of "scary" (I don't think you look scary with your hair up!;o)), but the wasp incident isn't at all funny! I'm allergic to wasps and I still get panicky if one starts to fly around me. But poor little Reagan has it bad-- even imagining them in bed. Poor sweetie!

    And yes, the kids' quads are motorized. They only go up to 2 mph which didn't sound that fast until I found myself running 2 mph in four different directions!

    ReplyDelete