Last week my little girls had
their Easter party and egg hunt at their preschool. I knew there were going to
be problems at the egg hunt when they asked parents to only bring 6 eggs per
child for the egg hunt.
Every egg hunt I’ve ever been
to the goal is to run around and get as many eggs as you can as fast as you
can. Some kids get a lot and some don’t get as much. That’s the way it goes.
But when there are only 6 eggs per kid out there, some are going to get more
and some LESS. And what kid wants to come home from an Easter egg hunt with
less than 6 eggs?
I’m all for not overindulging
our kids, but 6 per kid is really pointless. So sure enough, some kids got
quite a bit more and some had only 1 or 2. It was sad. It was also exactly what
I envisioned happening. Nobody wants a preschooler to go home with 1, 2, or
even 3 eggs, so instantly some moms starting seeing if some kids who got a
bunch could give some. I am actually in agreement with that. Reagan had 8 and
Ashley I bet had around 12! I totally thought we should share SOME of our eggs.
I even told some of the moms that they had more.
What happened next though was
more than I expected. Suddenly it was decided that everyone should end up with
exactly 6 eggs and I watched Ashley’s face as a few hands dug into her basket
and took HALF her eggs! It saddened me for her. I explained to her that some
kids had almost none and had her think about how she would feel if that were
her. But I didn’t think reaching into her basket and just taking was fair
either. And I didn’t see why we needed to completely even it up.
The perfect story of
socialism! Exactly the type of thing you read about in articles. Now, this was
not a premeditated act of socialism. The real problem was that they only asked
for 6 eggs! What were they thinking? Had it been 12 some might have had 20 and
some might have had 8 and surely (hopefully!) that would have been okay. And I
know the moms were just panicing and trying to remedy the situation quickly as
it was already time to head in.
Again, it was just people in
the moment trying to do what was right and not leave a child upset. And it’s
okay for my child to learn a lesson in sharing to those with less. But making
everybody even? I don’t like it. My child was deflated. All that being said, we
are going to get WAY more candy than needed in just a few days. It’s all good
in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment