I think I've said it before, okay, yeah I wrote entire blogs about it, but I love swim team. I know that is because of my own memories, but as a mom I love the structure and exercise and time filler that swim team provides. What a great way to fill our time in the summer!
This year our swim team pool (my old country club pool) was finally being renovated, after needing renovations since I was about 6 years old. Nothing like jumping right on it. Anyway, we ended up practicing for most of the summer at a different pool. I actually really liked the setup. Took some getting used to for the kids though. Tough work out the first week...
I like this next photo because this completely says summer to me. Ratty, wet pool children making stop in Subway. Something about this just makes me happy. Reminds me of all the many grocery store runs we used to do while at the pool. We practically lived at the pool all summer and the grocery store was just at the corner so we often went in looking a lot like these girls do here. I'm pretty sure I even remember a few times going in in our bare feet. Okay, I know that's gross, but I lived and did not get a foot disease. Amazing.
This was one of the earlier meets - Ashley was super excited to win a a1st!
It wasn't long and then Reagan won a 1st! She couldn't believe it. It was her first one. Love her happy super happy smile!
All the kids just love their coaches. Ashley is wearing Coach Greg's hat. I think he gave it to her because while he was, you know, trying to coach a meet and all, she wouldn't leave his hat alone. Sorry Coach Greg, but I guess you figured out how to solve your problem. She literally follows all the coaches around because she idolizes them, but that is because they are so much fun and sweet and loving to these kids!
Kaitlyn and her summer swim team friend with the same name...
And Mackenzie has two girls from her dance company on the team...meet the dancer/swimmers!
Finally back at our old pool. My dear old friend and co-swimmer/lifeguard/buddy Carin, who used to coach our team just before we started, but she had to leave and now her kids swim for the opposing team. It was great having her out to "our pool." In spite of the fact that most people don't know my history at that place, she and I know all too well that that we are part of the history of that pool. Our families, our siblings. So it was neat to have her there. Had to get a pic for sure!
As the season wound down, one of the fun things we did was go to the karaoke night after prelims at one of our "usual" restaurants. The big kids didn't get there til really late, so our younger kids had free reign of the karaoke for about an hour. Can you say Frozen? Like a thousand times? The karaoke man was definitely loving us, especially by the 8th time of Let It Go.
Then the big kids and coaches showed up after their late prelims and it turned into a big party. You know, the electric slide, chicken dance, gangnam style. Yup. These kids were tearing it up!
So that was more of the fun side of swim team this year. My older girls are getting tired of it and they are ready to call it quits. I'm trying to get them to hang on as long as they can.
Ashley finished out the year on top by getting to swim on the girls 6&under relay in the finals. They came in 3rd. Ashley was so proud - she says this was "her" swim meet because none of her sisters swam in it. Kaitlyn actually did the exact same thing when she was 6. It's an honor to swim in the finals in any capacity.
All 4 with their end of season trophies at the swim team banquet.
Great job girls on another year! Proud of all of them for working hard and continuing to improve. It's important to me that they are strong swimmers, since we swim a lot in Texas! Go Gators!!


No comments:
Post a Comment