Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So I'm Not So Pathetic After All

So, I recently wrote about being homebound. How almost pathetic it is that I don't get out for anything other than date night with my husband. So, I actually went out with some girlfriends Friday night. It was so great! Loved seeing old friends. And it was interesting, neither have kids so we are in very different places in life. Kind of fun to see how the other half lives. I have mostly forgotten. But something was a little strange. We were sitting at the bar, waiting on our table, having some chips and salsa, and discussing how I don't drink alcohol. (Never have. I'm Mormon.) Then I said something like "yep, all I need to be happy - chips and salsa, a Dr.Pepper, and good friends!" That has ALWAYS made me happy, even from the time I was a teenager. Then one looked at me like I was an abandoned puppy to be felt sorry for, and the other exclaimed that she would never get married! It was kind of a joke, but I was a bit shocked! Is it really so odd to find joy in the simple things in life?

And then I started thinking, I LOVE my life! I have the life I have always wanted, even from the time I was a little girl. Yes, it's hard. Yes, our unique situation has made parenting harder than I expected. And yes, it has required more sacrifice of me than I thought it would. But that is my job! I am a mom and these are no one's kids but mine. I love that I get to stay home with them, even when they drive me crazy. I love that all my efforts go into their lives and making our house a home. I even love being surrounded by Disney movies, princesses, Barney CD's in the car, and all the fun simple non-exciting stuff that goes along with kids. Sure I could use a break now and then. But I don't need to be traveling the world and in some high-powered job to find excitement in my life. We find excitement in things like sunrises, pumpkin patches, Halloween costumes, holiday decorations, and yummy desserts! Those are the good things in life and I don't find my simple joys pathetic at all!

  If my girlfriends ever read this, no offense taken! I still love you - smooch! Just spurred on some thoughts that I wanted to share! And I just watched Desperate Housewives last night and they closed with this very thing. So happy it wrapped up with all I had been thinking in the last week!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great post and it expresses the way so many of us feel. It must be wierd for someone on the outside to look in and not understand why we love our lives the way they are. I would imagine it must look crazy busy and chaotic. But this is our lives and we don't know anything else.

    Glad you got to go out with your friends and let loose for a few hours!

    ReplyDelete