I know it's really nothing, but this morning I had my own grown-up temper tantrum over fixing hair. It's bad enough I have to fix my own hair (not my forte) but I have 4 little girls' hair to fix every day as well. They often look like little ragamuffins without anything getting brushed until about 11am. I have been trying to encourage the big girls to start brushing their own hair but they are usually just fine to let it be. Mackenzie is lucky, her hair generally looks fixed almost all the time. Lucky duck. Kaitlyn, well, that's another story. Kaitlyn has a crazy rat's nest every single day, multiple times a day. I really wish she would care a little more to fix it and brush it. Once in a while she does but not often.
So what really drives me crazy is having to fix 4 girls' thin little fly away stringy hair every day. If I had boys I would ache for a girl's hair to put bows in, but 4 is just too much work every day. They all get the same style - one pony tail, either on top or in back, secured with a bow. Mackenzie often asks me for pigtails, but can you imagine turning 4 pony tails into 8 plus having to worry about making them straight and even? Sorry dear but no can do very often.
So this morning I was just finishing fixing the 4th head of hair. I have to get out all the pony tails and matching bows and then track down each child to fix their hair. Sometimes they come to me but let's face it, if I want it to get done sometimes I have to go to them. So I finish the last child and the first child suddenly pops her head up from rolling around on the floor for it to be a huge mess again. It was Kaitlyn. The wild-haired child. I was so mad at her. I fussed at her. Then I turned away and looked at her again and it was even worse! She took her blanket which is attached to her body 3/4ths of the time which drives her dad and myself crazy because it is a huge nuissance, and she had put it on her head, just after I fussed at her. So I got even madder. I told her to stay put so I could fix it again (I honestly was seething at this point, how stupid, huh?). Instead of staying put, she went upstairs to put up her blanket. When she came back, the pony tail and bow were missing. Are you kidding me? And she can't find it. What on earth??? She doesn't even know what happened to it? Oh my gosh!!!!
So I lost it. Poor child. But honestly it takes so ridiculously long to get everybody dressed and fixed and out the door that it is maddening when they do this kind of stuff. And can you guess this happens quite frequently? What is it with rolling around and wrestling? I guess the problem is I don't care if we're not going somewhere, but if we are it drives me crazy! And how are they to distinguish the difference? Still, it's not like she took the scissors to her hair and did something drastic.
(Funny side note: Kaitlyn has taken scissors to ALL kinds of stuff - her blanket that was MY baby blanket, the pack n play, the cord on the blinds, and much more, but never to her own hair. Thank goodness because her hair does not grow! Ironically, the only thing Mackenzie has ever taken the scissors to is her own hair, about 6 times. Both have finally quit cutting things though, I think.)
So I had my little tantrum. I'm over it now. I was also mad because of the daily paper scrap and art supply mess in our office and the fact that the big girls insisted on opening up their birthday invitations and decorating them before I was ready to get into all that. I guess all that is where the controlling part of me gets the best of me. But like I said, I'm better now. We went to Target, got swimming prizes from the $1 spot, and I got a Dr. Pepper. Always a pick-me-up!
But you know what else drives me crazy....the fact that none of my kids can manage to sit in their chair while eating a meal without getting up 50 times.
Okay I'm done venting. Better stop before I find more to get worked up about.
Oh, and I also think it is funny that this post comes right after the last about how well things are going. They still ARE going very well, just in a bad mood this morning.
I hear you.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a little girl, I dreamed of doing my own girls' hair one day. Little did I know. I wish I could give all 4 buzzes, and technically, I only have to do 2 a day (if I get to it that day). The babies still are in the baby hair stage and can get away with more. Most days we are ragamuffins. All of us.
And I hear you on the temper tantrum thing too. I do that and found myself doing it more than I liked, so I made myself a chart. I get a heart for everyday I don't yell and keep control. If I yell or feel like I've had a temper tantrum, I have to x out a heart. Each heart equals $1 towards a selfish purchase. It helps, although I earned two x's in the last few days. I just like ending the day feeling like I've kept my own emotions under control. I hate that "I've lost it" feeling.
I love to fix my daughters' hair up, but it never stays nice for very long. They will pull the bows out to look at it all the time and then they change their mind about how they want it done. I sometimes feel like I'm fixing eight kids' hair in the morning instead of just two! And I only have two girls. Thank goodness. Lots of sympathy going your way!
ReplyDeleteOh, I so understand where you are coming from. Besides my 2 sets of multiple girls, I have 2 other girls. Doing hair is a couple of hour chore for me. I just had my only son and he is so low-maintenance!
ReplyDeleteAnd, I have a problem with scissors/hair. My oldest like to practice on one of the 2 year olds hair and my 4 year olds hair....
Ugh, I go through hell just trying to do Bella's hair, I couldn't imagine having 3 other heads to do. Her latest thing is french braids...but not just a ponytail, she wants the pigtails. Lovely. It takes me forever and then she whines about how I'm hurting her. It's enough to make me want to drink a whole bottle of wine.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how long it takes to get 4 little people ready in the morning. It's like all my day's energy gets used up in just the few morning hours it takes to get them all ready to head out the door.
Funny....I think our day was EXACTLY the same. I even tried to get out the old booster to strap my oldest down and threatened to put the other two outside to eat by themselves if they couldn't stay in their chair! Thanks for putting words to my feelings. I think I am too exhausted to try to type them out.
ReplyDeleteKimberly,
ReplyDeleteI don't even remember how I found your blog, but I am also an LDS mommy of twin girls (just one set--so far). Anyway, I had to comment because I am dying laughing at your "challenges" posts. People just don't know what they don't know, kids 16 months is just like having twins, freaking out about the shots, and "sharing." If you can call it that! My girls scream if I won't let them "share" their Tylenol chewables because it's not fair. Oh, and the swimming dilemmas! I have those too because my twins aren't my only kids. Oh my goodness. It's so refreshing to hear the truth from someone who knows.
Anyway, I love the blog. If you'd like to get in touch, my email address is the.blue.turtle at hotmail dot com. It would be nice to be able to talk to someone who won't lecture me on whether my girls' clothes should match, coordinate, or never match so they don't have an identity complex! :)
Heather from UT