Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sometimes I Have to Be Selfish

There. I said it.  Sometimes I have to be selfish.  We moms are hardly ever selfish.  We're not allowed to be selfish.  So tonight I'm feeling a wee-bit guilty but it's really a little thing.  Tonight, instead of being a good aunt and going to my nieces' dance recital, I was a good wife and went to dinner and a movie with my husband.  It just so happened his parents were in town and I could have either taken my older girls to the recital, or had a date night.  I love my nieces and I would have enjoyed going, but given that time to myself is few and far between, I opted for date night.  So I feel a little bit bad, but I just had to be a little selfish, given the opportunity.

Actually one of my older girls was sick anyway (and now both are confirmed sick upon arriving home), so the recital wouldn't have worked out.  And then I felt a little guilty leaving Mackenzie who just wanted her mommy.  But at this point it was a sore throat, headache, and very mild fever.  Nothing a dose of Tylenol and going to bed couldn't fix.  Still, she didn't want me to go and I felt bad.  15 minutes after I came home then Kaitlyn came out of bed sobbing because now SHE was feeling bad.  But again, we're not talking about massive vomiting or anything.  But considering I don't get time to myself, I just had to take it.  I feel a little recharged and enjoyed a night out.  Hopefully my sweet girls will feel better tomorrow.  The younger two had it a couple days ago.  It came on fast and was very short-lived so I am hopeful.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I am glad you had time with your husband and away from the girls! I know you feel kinda bad, Auntie! but still, I am glad you had sometime with your hubby, that stuff is important to have. Even though we don't have it enough! I am looking forward to dinner soon with just my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! Sometimes we have to take our breaks when we can get them...the timing was too good to pass up this time.

    There will be more dance recitals in the future!

    ReplyDelete