When we were expecting the second set, I honestly just expected the worst, but then I was completely prepared and it turned out better than I thought. Last year I was kind of looking forward to summer, but honestly, it was pretty darn tough. I was so glad when it was over. So this summer my expectation was that it would be hard, that we would endure, that taking the little ones to the swim team was going to kill me, that the big girls would be screaming and fighting every day and then I would be screaming at them.
But I have to say, I can't believe that we are 2 weeks into summer already, and so far so good. We've all gotten used to the swim team pool drill every day. That has been great. Kids are exercising, outdoors, having fun all at the same time, and the best part is, I am completely managing the little ones so much better than I expected. Their floaties are working out great, they MOSTLY know their boundaries, and I'm even enjoying being at the pool every day. Then we come home, have lunch, play a little, the little girls nap while the big girls watch TV, then they get up and it's practically time for dinner and we start the home stretch toward bedtime. Break up the weeks with a few vacations, July 4th and a birthday and I'm feeling pretty good. But I better not get too cocky. That's when things could change.
Well, it didn't help that the kids have been sick for the last week. The little girls bounced back quickly but the big girls have had these horrible lingering sore throats (and me too!), so we went to the doctor today because I was just positive it was strep, but it's not. I guess that's good except that now we're left to finish fighting it on our own. We're almost there though. Just the eating habits aren't so good right now. But even with that it's been okay.
The big girls have even been playing together and playing with their toys and not fighting all that much. The norm for them is honestly not playing with any of their millions of toys, telling me their bored, and not getting along. So, the Lord must be pouring out his blessings on us right now and I am so thankful!
So a mini-vacation is on the horizon. It will be the first trip for the little girls EVER. Nearly 2 1/2 years old and never spent a night away from home. They spent 1 night in my bedroom in pack n plays when they were 8 months old as we rode out Hurricane Ike and it didn't go well at all. So this should be interesting. I'm hoping I get more than 4 hours of sleep at night. I'm hoping it goes well and we all have fun. But I'm expecting to be very tired. What is it they say, Expect the Worst but Hope for the Best? Well, that's sounds like a good parenting motto to me!
But so far enjoying the lazy days of summer. Let's hope it lasts because we still have a lot of it left!

So glad to hear summer is going well. Good luck on your mini-vacation; you are going to have so much fun having a change of scenery - and so will the girls. Although, it is tough when they aren't used to being away from their own beds. Sophie had a melt-down when I moved her bed from one side of the room to the other. (Needless to say, she won't be going on any vacations in the near future...)
ReplyDeleteSo far so good. Except that the kids have been begging me to go to a farm house and play with animals and eat lollipops! I think they were recalling some trip we did to a local zoo. But it is so hot right now. I might just suck it up and go with them though! They looked so pathetic begging to go!
ReplyDeleteI will have to remember that philosophy for the near future. Glad things are turning out better than expected.
ReplyDeleteI'm soooo with you! FINALLY, after 3 1/2 years of being parents, we lowered our expectations! ;-) Like you said - it's more about being realistic about what our kids can handle, and that allows us to go with the flow a little bit better, and causes less stress for everyone!
ReplyDelete