Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Family of Yellers?

I'm really not proud to write about this. But it's bugging me and I want to get it off my chest.

I often feel like we are becoming a family of yellers.  I'm impatient.  Mike is even more impatient.  Our older girls are at each other's throats 85% of the time.  One is full of drama and attention-seeking, the other is ultra-sensitive and little things make her blood boil fast.

They really push our buttons.  The thing that pushes me the most to my limits is either being ignored or blatant disobedience.  Unfortunately, I see a lot of that these days.  Kind of always have.  I don't get it.  I promise I'm nice the first three times I ask or tell my kids to do something.  But my blood starts rising fast by the 4th, and by the 5th time it is often boiling.  That's when I often blow my top.  Because it's this very scenario over and over, all day long.  Or one of them often likes to do the opposite of what I say and that puts me at boiling almost immediately.

I realize yelling is not effective. I realize the damage it does. I realize they tune me out.  But nothing else seems to get their attention.

And sometimes there is just so much cotton-pickin noise in the house that no one even realizes that I'm speaking. I don't mean angry yelling, just loud kid noise and happy yelling.  So then I yell and then they all realize I'm talking.

Then there's their dad.  More of the same, only his blood boils faster and of course his voice is louder.

So what's the result?  The kids seem to yell a lot, and now it is spreading to the little girls.

I actually think I yell less and am a lot more patient than I used to be, and so is Mike. But it still seems to happen a lot. I'm not really sure how to fix it, and I'm not really sure what else to do when I find myself getting to that point.  Sure I can count to 10, but then what?  What do I say to them?

Other than my impatience, need to control, and somewhat irritable nature, most people who have all known me find me to be pretty laid-back and even-keel and never know such a side to me even exists.  It's like, back when I was a teen and a young adult those things surfaced only during PMS and then largely went away by the time I was married. But for some reason being a mom brings out those three of my otherwise subdued qualities.  It's kind of like having PMS all the time, only that's not what it is.

And you know what's funny?  The impression that Mike and I generally give off is that we're friendly but also pretty reserved.  In fact, in my family that I grew up in (not my grown-up married family), I was always the peacemaker out of a whole bunch of people that couldn't get along.  Now does that sound like angry, tempermental, yelling people?

Hopefully as my kids get older they will get to know the real me, and more importantly, hopefully there will be more peace and harmony in our home (as long as they don't become crazy, psycho teenagers!).  But I don't want them to yell and have short fuses so I have to learn to exemplify something else. But how?

8 comments:

  1. Ditto.

    I just started reading "sheparding a Childs heart" for this very reason. Once I get past the intro, I'm hoping for some useful advice. Ill let you know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of it but would love to know more after you get further into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah. Right there with you. While I was reading this, Rod sat down next to me, saw the title and said, "'Family of Yellers'? Did you write that?" I need to stop yelling and have been trying, but I have yet to make it more than one yell-free day in a row.

    I wish I had some advice, but I felt a bit better reading this and knowing I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A whole day without yelling would be a complete miracle! There seems to be some angry yelling about once an hour, and that's just from me. That doesn't include the kids fighting and yelling at each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually made me a no yelling chart once. If i didn't yell, I gave myself a heart. If I yelled, I had to cross off a heart. Each heart = one dollar at the store of my choice.

    One of my friends came over and thought I made it for the girls. I sheepishly had to tell her that it was for me.

    I think I need to bust out my chart again. Yes, I have more patience than before (I see the younger ones getting more patience from me than the older ones did) and I get the same thing: people think I'm nice and sweet. But I do get frustrated and loose my temper still. So frustrating. I'm trying to figure out what I should channel my hotheadedness into if I'm not naturally one of those moms that always speaks in almost a whisper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to go Super Nanny?? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I can so totally relate to this. I never would have thought I'd be yelling so much. And yet I constantly justify my reactions for the very same reasons you mentioned: no one seems to listen or even hear me, loudness is just a given around here too - hello? 3 boys?! The thing to note is that I "react" instead of "respond" way to often. I know this, but it's just a problem I have. I know this isn't a coincidence that I'm reading your post today, because check out 2 articles I just read & then just so happened to click on your blog. The first is from Proverb 31 Ministries: http://devotions.proverbs31.org/2011/07/self-control.html. The second is from the same author's own personal site/blog: http://lysaterkeurst.com/2011/07/reactor-or-responder/. I truly hope these help you as much as they have me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking the exact same thing this morning about my family! I'm glad to see that I'm not alone and I like the advice you've received! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete