So last week we took our first family vacation of the year. We went to a beach in the city of Port Aransas about 3 hours away.
Here's a little preview of the trip:
First of all, we are officially condo people. With 4 kids you can't just stay in a hotel. Well, we could get adjoining rooms which I'm sure at times we will do, but a suite or condo would be much better.
So, we had a condo at this place called Port Royal. It was pretty cool. Loved the layout but the owner did not envision children at this place. First this was evidenced by our lovely "mermaid" that was hanging on the wall.
She definitely sparked lots of comments and questions!
Kids: "Eeewww - look at her bottom!" "Why would somebody make a naked statue?"
Me: "Well, there are lots of naked statues. SOME people consider the human body a work of art. I know, I don't get it either."
And check it out - someone actually PUT a top on her. You think some other family at some point might have complained? But thank goodness! That would have really been bad. And thank goodness I've got girls! The only one I really had to worry about was hubby!
And also, if you look at her, she is actually not a mermaid at all. Just a naked chick! But we'll just go on letting everyone believe she's a mermaid. After a few days of staring at her, the kids affectionately named her Maria.
This lovely piece hung over our bed.
Yikes! I was afraid I'd dream that those fish were attacking me. Don't get too wild in there or you might get hurt!
Here was the kids room.
We had to work out a rotation schedule for the kids. 2 in the bed, a rollaway that was so bowed we threw it on the floor, and an airbed. The airbed was the coveted bed so we drew names and rotated after much whining, crying, and fighting over who slept where.
I told Kaitlyn, who ended up being the one who would not sleep on the airbed (since we were only there 3 nights) that on our next vacation she got first pick of the beds. She apparently didn't hear me right and told all the other kids that I said she got to pick our next vacation and that we were all going to Disneyland. Great. Then I just had to tell them all we were not going to Disneyland next.
By day 2 we discovered the bed poles looking like this.
See how it's completely bent at the top? The kids naturally said it was already like that, even though the big girls admitted hanging from it. I guess we'll find out when we see our credit card statement if we got charged for incidentals.
And Reagan thought it would be fun to rip up the surface of one of the coasters.
So I guess all that's just how it goes with kids. Kind of funny really. And a little picture-taking with NaNaw and PaPa who live close by and came out one evening to join us.
Here's how most of the pictures really went:
"Okay everybody! Turn around! Look at me! I said look at ME! Hello!!"
Kaitlyn consistently was the only one on the trip often looking at the camera. Look how hard she is trying!
Happy vacationing! More to come!


Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard right now! We have stayed at Port Royal but I never noticed all the interesting artwork. I guess we stayed their prekids and it wasn't on my mind. And that bed! It was perfect for practicing gymnastics; my kids would have done the same thing. :)
ReplyDeleteI hope you guys are having fun. We are getting for for our first vacation with all 4 kids in just a few weeks at Gulf Shores. Let me know any tips you have!
okay, who on Earth picked out that 'artwork'? I think the condo was decorated by an insane person...
ReplyDeleteI have a huge collection of pictures of one ot two (or zero) kids looking at me while the rest wander around and look anywhere but the camera!
Yeah! I was able to post a comment! Google is finally working again!
ReplyDeleteI don't get the fish thing either and when I saw the bent frame on the bed I thought "Ouch! Kaching Kaching."
ReplyDelete