Oh where do I begin? I hate the topic of food, and nutrition, and diets, and I could go on and on.
I will admit - I am SO lucky because I'm tall and have a super fast metabolism. I try to get the nutrients I need but I have not had to pay attention to what I eat all that much, except that I have to watch my blood sugar and make sure I get enough protein.
But as a mom, a GREAT part of our job is to feed our kids and feed them properly. I think I lie somewhere in the middle. We do eat out a lot but I always try to get a fruit cup or healthier side over fries generally. But I'm just so tired of the day in and day out conversations about food, preservatives, organic, flaxseed, gluten, etc.
It does not help that I don't like to cook. And I have such back problems I've already written about how hard it is on me physically. I just want stuff that's quick and easy but I have this internal conflict because I know it's not always the best stuff to eat.
And my kids are such carb fiends. And lots of cheese and creamy sauces. Not good habits. I admit I worry because I know my kids may not all be as lucky as I have been in the gene department, so I want to teach them healthy eating habits but I have a problem with cooking. I actually cook a homemade meal about twice a week and do a box dinner or two as well. But everything I read, see on TV, and hear from other moms is that this is not enough. Ugh. And I know the carbs are a problem.
So I just feel overwhelmed about the whole thing. I would like to make changes but between picky kids (and husband), my problems with cooking (lack of knowledge in certain areas, lack of desire, plus the effects on my back), and busy schedules I don't know if I see it happening. This is not to say my kids don't eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. They do. See - they are getting the nutrients, but it's all the other stuff I feel plagued to worry about. They do a TON of snacking. It's middle of the road stuff - goldfish, granola bars, etc. So not tons of chips and fries but not celery sticks either. And it doesn't help that their school allows them to bring TWO snacks a day plus they can buy at will snacks at the end of lunch. Is that absurd or what?
I actually went to Whole Foods last week to see what I could see (isn't that a children's song?). I find a little bit but was mostly further reminded that I still don't really know where to begin.
And then there's my vice - the official soda of Texas:
I really only drink 1-2 per day and yet my body and the world tries to tell me that is too much. I don't drink coffee or alcohol or smoke or anything. Why do I have to feel bad about the one thing that I love so much? But between the sugar, calories, and caffeine, my body needs to cut it out too. But I CRAVE it and my Dr. Peppers are a little spot of sunshine every day. Great - now I want one. Sounds so refreshing, doesn't it?
So there it is. Food and nutrition - the monkey on my back. Thanks for listening. Maybe someone can relate. I just don't want to think about food anymore, unless it is "Ahhhh - that was delicious!"

Yes!
ReplyDeleteFood.
How I love it and hate it at the same time.
I try so hard to serve my family healthy meals, but it is simply impossible (for me at least) to be 100% healthy 100% of the time. The kids get plenty of fruits and vegetables, so I know that they are doing alright, I just seems like other people are doing better. Like every other part of mothering, it is so hard to tune out the other moms.
While I may not drink Dr Pepper, I cannot give up my coffee. I don't put sugar in,but I know that all of that caffeine is still not good for me. Like you said, I could have far worse vices.
I wish i had your metabolism, lol! Don't stress too much...i try to do all the healthy cooking stuff for my girls and they rarely eat much of it anyway!!!
ReplyDeleteSometimes doing your best has to be good enough and they certainly look pretty healthy and happy to me!!
I know, I know. It's so hard to keep everything straight, esp with the media always coming up with new things that aren't good for us. Like apple juice having arsenic in it??
ReplyDeleteFor me, it's about making small changes here and there so it's not so overwhelming. I think as long as you're ensuring that they get their fair share of fruits, veggies and whole grains, you're doing well!!
Hi again...i just replied to the lovely comment you left on my blog via email but then i realised you have a noreply address...is there somewhere i can send you an email in reply as i think i wrote a novel back to your comment and don't really want to put it on my blog for all to see, lol!If not.....i shall do a condensed version!!!
ReplyDelete