Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Facebook Pet Peeves

With the approaching presidential election, I may have to just let go of my Facebook addiction and sign off until mid-November. I just can't stand the political rants, and I am often tempted to join in, even though I LOATHE conflict. But I also sometimes can't stand idly by and let people say things that aren't true, or believe things so stupid. Still, I try to stay out of them. So it made me think, what are all my Facebook pet peeves?

1. Political disagreements. No one is ever convinced one way or the other. It's just wasted breath and we get all worked up and it doesn't do any good.

2. People that use so much slang I don't even know what they mean. This is primarily the handful of Generation Y FB users that I have as friends.

3. Vague comments. That may be the worst. What are these people trying to do? Just have people beg them to say more?

4. Too much information (TMI). Oh boy. Don't even get me started. I can't believe the personal information that people disclose to hundreds of acquaintances. Wow.

5. Along with #4, pictures of their kids' poop. Come on! My own kids' poop makes my stomach churn, but somebody else's?

6. Constant "songs." Like I'm going to go and click on the link every time they post a song. It's just filling up my news feed!

7. Constant quotes. This is actually why I'm writing today. Someone in my MOMMs group mentioned how annoying is the person with the constant positive quotes. Yes, agreed. I'm all for positive quotes, in small doses. Again, I ignore them when it's several a day. Plus, it's okay to be realistic (and thus not always positive) once in a while. Must I be positive with every single fleeting moment?

8. Posts about running in marathons. Ugh. I hate running. There is this whole world of FB marathon runners. It seems every weekend I have to sift through at least 20 comments about people in marathons. Be more like me, people - a little lazy!

9. Rude posts from others about things of which you are a part. This could be anything - religion, politics, universities! During football season, I'm grown up enough to handle the banter from rival schools, but some of the comments are downright rude, nasty, and insulting! Why would you want to just piss people off, especially your so-called "friends?" You know who's on your friend list, right?

10. People my age who constantly travel or go out with friends and post a million pictures from it all. I'm sorry but my life is not so glamorous. I don't know who watches your kids that often but even with family in town I cannot get away like you do. Perhaps in part I am jealous, but in part I am annoyed because you have no idea how the rest of us live. Day in and day out. The grind without a major party every weekend.

So there it is. My Facebook pet peeves. But there's one more that doesn't bother me, but I wonder how many people have "hidden" me because all I talk about is my kids! Yep - I'm guilty of that. I try to make it light and funny usually. But I have found there's a huge group out there called moms, and we all support each other and I love my FB mom circles that I have. I'm sure the marathoners feel the same way about all their marathon friends. That's why they post about it - there's a world of people out there who actually relate and enjoy hearing about it.

But kids' poop? Nobody needs that.

3 comments:

  1. amen! Glad I'm not the only one who hates vague comments. Maybe I'm too much of a curious cat. I have to know everything.
    I wish I could put a lock on FB to keep me from checking it until November (since I clearly lack in the self control.)
    - oh this is Kathryn. I too am lazy and therefore didn't switch accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the FB statuses about people's kids because it's usually something funny or enlightening!

    One of my biggest FB peeves is the vague statement. Because, like you mentioned, they're just begging you to ask what's going on. Drives me nuts.

    Or the ones who constantly are updating with silly random things like what they ate for lunch today because it's something they always post. If it's a fabulous recipe, I'm all for sharing but I don't want to hear what you're having for lunch every single day, kwim?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this entire post yet, but you had left a comment on my blog and I wanted to e-mail you back and it is the noreply e-mail, so I was hoping you would e-mail me so I can have your e-mail and write you. mariposa103@yahoo.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete