Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Love/Hate Relationship

What could the title describe? Kaitlyn and Mackenzie's relationship? My relationship with the computer? My relationship with fast food? Well, yes it could be any of those things but I'm actually referring to the piano.


My mom is a great pianist. And she's the organist at our church. People often ask me if I play the piano like my mom. While I can read music and learn more simple songs here and there, the most accurate answer to that question is a definite no. If someone tries to sing along with me I freeze up instantly. I don't see how accompanists ever find their place again if they get off.

So a few years ago my mom got a baby grand and I inherited her age-old piano. I am thrilled that I have it. I can't foresee me ever buying one because I don't play much, but it's nice knowing that I have it, it's there, and I can play it if I want to. Now that the little girls are older I finally felt safe putting the wobbly old piano bench where it actually belongs. And since there's actually a bench there, I now play occasionally.

And now my other daughters are playing. And I love that they're playing. Mackenzie plays it all the time. And here's where the love/hate thing comes in. I repeat - she plays it ALL. THE. TIME.

And the piano is in our main family room, right by our bedroom. It's a great spot because it gets played...all...the...time. If it were tucked away in a corner, it wouldn't get played as much, and thus my daughter's talent (she's really quite good), would not blossom the way it has. (Kaitlyn is doing well too but so far really isn't that interested and does not play every day like Mackenzie.)

However, it really adds to the noise. It seems like at the most inopportune time, the piano starts up. I can't imagine a home full of musicians. I now feel like those parents on every sitcom you've ever seen. But it's okay. I'll take the noise and a daughter pursuing a talent that she enjoys over the serenity I might have otherwise. And who am I kidding? With four kids, there would be no serenity, piano or not, right?

You know what was funny though, in a sort of not so funny kind of way? During Christmas, the one song both of them played over and over was this loud banging Indian song. Really? I guess that's why they liked it but that one could have never existed and we would have all been happy.

2 comments:

  1. It's a serious Catch 22, isn't it? Push the piano off to the corner and then no one really plays it or benefits from it....leave it in the room where it is and it gets played and the girls discover their musical talent.

    Just do this...everytime they play it and the noise gets to you, imagine them becoming famous pianists or musicians someday and being interviewed on Entertainment Tonight saying, "Well, I owe it all to my wonderful mother. We would bang on that piano morning, noon and night and she always encouraged us even though the noise drove her crazy. And now here I am...famous and rich. And I have her to thank for it."

    Oh and you'll be watching that interview on your huge screen tv in that huge beach house you've always wanted because they'll be able to afford anything your little heart desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I completely get this! My husband is actually a very good pianist and I would love to have a piano so the kids could learn and see their father using his talent. I was talking to a friend about wanting a piano and she thought I was crazy for inviting more noise into out home (seeing as I complain to her about all of the noise practically every day!). I just told her that it doesn't seem like my house would be quiet any time soon, so I would like it to at least be good noise.
    I'm glad that Mackenzie is enjoying the piano so much!

    ReplyDelete