Monday, January 2, 2012

What I Would Have Said

Well, the holiday season was so busy this year that I didn't find the time to do our annual Christmas letter. I really like doing it. It adds such a nice personal touch to the Christmas card and is such a nice recap of the year. So while it may not have gone out to my friends, I've decided to do one here in cyberspace for all my wonderful cyber friends. And mainly just for me to have a record of where we are. So here goes:


Happy New Year!

Mike and I have enjoyed our year. It started out with the two of us going to L.A. for the Rose Bowl and spending a few extra days there at Universal Studios and Hollywood. It was a fun time, thanks to the Horned Frogs (though we are tired of unusually cold and rainy weather every time we go to California - today's Rose Bowl temps - 82 degrees compared to last year's 40's)!

We can also say that it has been a big year of change, since our little girls are becoming not so little anymore. They turn 4 this week and we have made it over so many hurdles once again, and we feel like we are finally coming up for air. We can finally take everyone on vacation, everyone is potty trained (at least in the day time), we can go to events and activities and movies, all as a family and not have to leave the little ones with a sitter. It not only makes things feel more complete but it gives us more independence to do what we want.

So we are happy. And we (and by we I mean finally me) are finding we can even get stuff done in the house from time to time. I have spent a lot of my time trying to put some finishing touches on our house that we have now been in 6 years. Though I must admit, just when I was having the perfect balance in my life, I found myself as the brownie leader for Kaitlyn and Mackenzie's new brownie troop. I have learned that I have a lot to learn and though it is rewarding it is also quite time-consuming, at least for now.

Mike and I have also been asked to teach Ashley and Reagan's new primary class at church, the Sunbeams, for the upcoming year, so that will be quite the adventure as well. And Mike continues to work with the Boy Scouts at our church, spending lots of time organizing big events in the area.

Kaitlyn (7) has been taking gymnastics this year and can finally do a cartwheel! She is also in piano (despite her not really wanting to) and she is able to sit down and read simple music pieces. She just had her first piano recital and played "Up On the Housetop." She also enjoyed soccer last spring and her second year of swim team last summer. She was able to swim on the freestyle relay in the Championship meet this year where they earned 3rd place, taking home the bronze medal. Her time improved drastically as she finally learned how to do a "side" breath. She's lost a lot of teeth and can finally ride a bike without training wheels! Lastly, she is a brownie scout this year. Kaitlyn's favorite activity continues to be drawing. One day I am going to put a book together of all her drawings that I've been collecting over the years. She is still very silly and she's very giving and considerate of others, much more so than the average child her age.

Mackenzie (7) is in her fourth year of dance and she has added jazz this year. It's a bit more to keep up with but she's enjoying going at a faster pace. She too is in piano and she can't go through her piano books fast enough. She too had her first recital and played "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (and sang!). She also played soccer (probably the first and last time only) and did swim team, where she earned Most Improved in her age group! She also has a new set of teeth and is riding a bike without training wheels! And yes, she is in brownies as well. Mackenzie's favorite activity is still reading. She has gotten into Harry Potter this year and has already read the first two novels! Mackenie loves to do things on her own and is very independent. She also likes to tell jokes and kid-around with people. She's fun-loving and loves to learn.

Ashley (almost 4) continues to keep us on our toes. Her energy level is insane, though with each passing year it does seem to slow down just a bit. She also either sings or talks (loudly) non-stop. She loves to sing and her teachers at school and at church have all noticed. She is fiesty but I'm pretty sure that being the smallest (though not necessarily the youngest) in the family makes her feel like she has to cause a raucous to hold her own. She is very sweet at heart and just wants to be loved. She is taking gymnastics this year and once even did a pullover on the bar entirely by herself. She learned to swim this summer and could ultimately take a breath and keep going a short way. She LOVES to swim! And DIVE into any water, no matter how deep (or shallow). She enjoys Barbies and princesses and anything of her older sisters.

Reagan (almost 4) is like Mackenzie in that she's very independent. She likes to do everything herself, which at times is a big help and at other times we have to keep her out of things. Most of the time she is very eager to please and tends to just roll with things. Of course she has her days, especially when it comes to eating dinner. She loves lunch but protests most dinners. She loves wearing princess dresses and dressing up. She too likes to sing, is taking gymnastics, which she enjoys, and she learned to swim this summer. She has beautiful swimming arms for a child her age! I was amazed at how well Reagan and Ashley cooperated with swimming this summer and actually let ME teach them. Reagan is also constantly throwing compliments my way. How nice! I can't say I'm complaining! But she is very sweet and does tend to take the role of peacemaker in her home the most and it is appreciated.

We are excited to see what this year brings - more independence for our family, baptisms this summer for Kaitlyn and Mackenzie, and who knows what adventures, blessings, and challenges await? We pray that we have a wonderful year and hope to focus on the important things in life as our world gets busier around us.

Love to all!

Kimberly, Mike, Kaitlyn, Mackenzie, Ashley, and Reagan

1 comment:

  1. That is a busy year! I am still so impressed with all the volunteering you and Mike do. That is one of my resolutions for this year - to help out more and not expect all the other moms/dads/etc to pick up all the slack.

    ReplyDelete