Wow! This just hit me today for the first time ever, so I have to write it down before I forget!
The context: So, the little girls' birthday is tomorrow. I have most of Christmas down, but there is still garland on the railing, boxes everywhere and a few items remaining to be put up. The house is not back together yet. Thank goodness we are doing their party at Chuck E Cheese! But...probably some family will come over after. And in-laws are here already tonight. And as I was looking around at the still mess, and frantically planning this afternoon's brownie meeting, I thought "Oh well. My family's used to this anyway." I thought about how ever since the first set of twins were born, I quit trying to have my house look perfect every time someone was coming over. I knew it wasn't happening, so it was either get over it or never have anyone ever come over again.
So I got over it and quickly realized no one expects me to have a perfect house. If anything, I'm the ONE person that gets a pass! Two sets of twins? Say no more! Everyone gets it! And it applies to so many other things as well. Forgetfulness (aka a severe case of mommy brain), being late, all domestic matters!
Okay, that does not mean that I am using my kids as an excuse to be less than I can be, or do less than I can do, but what it does mean is that outside people may be a little less judging of me than they might be of others, or at least my perception is that they would be less judging. Kind of sad in a way that we think about what others think, but I think there's truth to what I'm saying. Yee haw!
So, anyone who has multiples out there, milk it for what it's worth while they're young and you can! We have to look for advantages where we can find them, and no, having a playmate isn't really a twin advantage (because all they do is fight).
So go ahead. Leave those cheerios all over the floor and throw shoes all over the house and pile the dishes up as high as you can. Why bother when in another hour there'll be another mess and no one else expects anything more anyway? In fact, try being late on your bills and tell them you're the mom of twins, or triplets, or two sets, or whatever. Maybe they'll be forgiving (okay don't really try that). Even better, when things DO look good, everybody is EXTRA-impressed that you pulled it off!
And just in case you're thinking I'm some lazy, slacker mom, take this post with a grain of salt. It's supposed to make you laugh!
It did make me laugh! You're right though, I try to keep the house clean, but the piles of toys that constantly appear? Well, I have 3 yo quads. What did you expect? ;-)
ReplyDeleteThis post definitely made me giggle! It's so true, isn't it? People always seem to cut me major slack when they find out I have two sets of twins, even more so when they were all babies. There were several times I'd be late for dr's appts and the nurses were always very understanding..."well, it must difficult trying to get 4 babies out the door..." when in fact it was really ME who was taking forever getting ready.
ReplyDelete