Last weekend we celebrated our 14th anniversary. Mike surprised me with a little weekend getaway to cabin in the Texas Hill Country. It was just outside a quaint little college town called Georgetown. It's not really a touristy town, but a nice little spot nonetheless.
The cabin:
The inside was really cool. Made out of all cedar. This only shows about half of the cabin. So nice and remote.
The hike: Just a short trail on the San Gabriel River. But first my husband being a dare-devil. Okay it really wasn't scary in any way.
The vegetation:
I don't know what kind of tree this is. It looked like teeny tiny oranges all over it but pretty sure oranges don't start out orange so I really wasn't sure.
And wild berries...
Of course Texas isn't Texas without these babies....
The history:
Sign marking the site of a former "colored" school and telling the story of segregated schools in Georgetown.
Near the same site was a very old cemetery. Many of the tombstones were cracked and broken, and more interesting was how young many of these people were when they died. Quite a few in their 20s.
A sweet tombstone with a sweet poem on the bottom (kind of hard to read though in the picture).
Small town life.
The town:
I think here I had maybe the best pancake ever. This place has been featured on Diners, Dives, and Drive-ins. (I realize I probably got the name of that show in the wrong order. I don't care.)
The weather: Thank goodness the day warmed up beautifully!
The wildlife: We did see a few deer. And some strange rabbits. Jack rabbits perhaps? One deer (not this one) got startled by our car and tried to jump over a fence, except there were bushy trees on the other side. He hit the trees with his head and bounced back onto the ground. Failed attempt. We were so embarrassed for the poor guy. Then he ran across the other street, jumped another fence, and brushed his underside on the wire. Hope it wasn't barbed wire!
This guy was much more skilled. Good job, buddy!
Anyway, what was most nice about our trip was that we really didn't have to be anywhere or do anything. We met some friends for dinner one night, took it easy, Mike even had an appointment with a local spa for me to get a massage. Very enjoyable. Too bad one of my kids was at home with a somewhat high fever, calling me and begging me to come home. But all's well that ends well and we are lucky to have grandparents who will care for them and let us get away.



How fun! My husband and I both went to college there and loved places like the monument cafe! I'm glad you got a chance to get away. :)
ReplyDeleteOh wow - I didn't realize y'all went to Southwestern. Nice little school. I remember my brother went and checked it out when he was looking at colleges. Hope y'all are doing well!
Delete