Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The #1 Thing My Kids Argue About

My kids argue about lots of stuff. Most of it is really one child annoying another, or one child not playing with another, or things like that.

But there is one thing in particular that has been the source of arguments in the car since they were old enough to talk, and that is....singing.

I like to sing, and all my kids like to sing...alone. Since the big girls were toddlers, they have always fought over WHO is singing. Everyone wants to be the singer and no one wants anyone else to sing along. How many car rides have we been on when one child starts singing and AT LEAST one other child starts writhing in agony of having to listen to her sister sing. I am fine with it so long as it is not screaming singing. That one I understand but the rest?

I would so much rather hear one child sing than hear another child whine and complain about the one child singing. We used to try taking turns. Then I made a rule that anyone can sing in the car and anyone can sing along with anyone else. If they want to sing alone, save that for bath time. (Well, the littles still take baths together.) Ashley is the queen of singing. She sings all day every day, but the minute someone else starts singing she starts actually groaning. Anyway, they all do it. I don't get it. My step-sister and I used to always sing together in the car on car trips and we loved it. We were happy to sing along and didn't mind the other. But this is every day, people. The singing wars have been going on for 6 years already with no end in sight.

What do your kids argue over most? Anything silly that keeps coming back?

I did have one more - the big girls for several years would fight because Kaitlyn wanted to watch the ending song and credits of every movie and show, and Mackenzie would knowingly make a b-line to the TV and hit the off button. Kaitlyn would absolutely lose it! And I couldn't just go turn it back on for her. It had to be Mackenzie since she was the one who turned it off, only by the time I got HER to go back and do it, the song would be over and Kaitlyn would be in full meltdown for 45 minutes. Ahh....the joys. Glad they grew out of that one.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Sounds like instead of a quartet, you have four soloists there! It can be tough sharing the spotlight ;-) So far my kids sing together, usually pretty happily. I tell me husband I'm going to work on some choreography for them and we'll hit the road. We'll be the Catholic Osmonds!

    Your last little story reminded me of an absurd fight this morning. The quads don't have school today, so we were heading out to the library. I told Izzie to turn off the tv. Well, Paige runs over and turns it off. Izzie was actually on the floor crying and screaming. Over who got to turn of the tv. I had to have Paige turn the tv back on so that Izzie could turn it off. Ridiculous, but we made it to story time on time.

    ReplyDelete