Thursday, February 28, 2013

Girl Scouts

I don't know how I feel about Girl Scouts. I'm a troop leader. I think overall that girl scouts is a great experience for girls. But from a leader's standpoint, there is MUCH that I'm not happy with. From the training, to the website, and especially the parents. Some are great but I also have quite a few flaky parents that make me crazy. Anyway, running into another frustration today. So I'm venting.

It's been fun for the girls, and they have learned things, built friendships, etc. It's great to work on badges. But I'm not that into scouting. I did it as a kid, overall really enjoyed it, and said I would be a leader if need be one day for my kids. And here I am. But I just don't know if it's all worth the headache. My husband tells me to not do it next year. But nothing is easy that's worth doing. And if I don't do it then there is no troop. That's where it's at. What I would really like is for my kids to decide not to do it anymore. But so far they say they want to keep going. (And if they DIDN'T want to do it anymore then I would say I'm not doing my job as a leader.)

Anyway, not trying to dog the girl scouts, just very frustrated. And the frustration seems to happen weekly. Everything about it, when you're a leader, is difficult.

On the flip side, I kind of like the fact that I'm a leader. It's something more than stay at home mom. It's being a leader in the community. It's something more that I can talk about. And when I go up to the school and all the girls run and hug me definitely makes me glad I'm doing it. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But most of the time that is not the feeling I get.

Anyway, hopefully posting this publicly won't cause any harm. I wasn't specific anyway. Thanks for listening (or reading, actually).

P.S. Adding this ending addition one day later. Just got home from a fun troop activity and left feeling happy and satisfied. That's the way it goes. Up and then down. Until the next frustration...

No comments:

Post a Comment