Was July 4th really nearly a week ago? Gee! This summer is flying by and we really haven't even done that much. Swim team. One weekend trip. And Mackenzie has had dance. That's it. Seriously. But all that is coming to a close and I am going to have to start stepping up my mom game just a bit! July 4th was a good start.
This year the normal community fireworks were moved to a different location that had limited viewing and since we were late to find that out that meant no normal 4th for us. But in a way I'm kind of glad because we went instead to the Sugar Creek fireworks that they hold on the 3rd. Sugar Creek is where I grew up and the country club, while old and still hanging on for dear life, has done fireworks on the 3rd for quite some time. (Used to be on the 4th growing up but still great that they still do it.) Since we swim on their swim team and my mom and step-dad still live in the neighborhood, and it's open to everyone, we came here to celebrate.
And boy do I miss this place. Okay I've talked about the pool but below is the backside of the pool. So many memories and to actually be at one of their events - reminds me of good times. And it was fun! Saw quite a few old faces too. And apparently a lot of kids come back for this event too - many I knew from the year above me. But every year I lament over what wonderful July 4th's I had as a child and it all happened at Sugar Creek.
Anyway, the kids had balloon animals, face (or arm) painting,
rock climbing (with cousins!),
bouncy houses, and a totally awesome live band that sang things like Depeche Mode!
Then we all camped out on the driving range. Ready for fireworks!
Bam! They weren't the biggest I've ever seen, but we were so close we were covered in ashes. Next time I will bring a visor to keep it out of my eyes! I didn't care though. I was totally in my element.
So the next day was the actual 4th. We got up early, did the Freedom Run (ok the family walk part of it), rode in Mike's truck back to our car (the kids thought that was completely awesome),
then went to church for a pancake breakfast, then later to see Despicable Me 2, and finally swimming at our cousin's pool!
It was all great! Mike was still home the rest of the weekend. The big girls took turns (thank you Aunt Lori!) spending the night at their cousins, and we went to Chuck E Cheese.
Welcome summer, bring it on! What's next? (Hint, hint: someone's having a birthday!)


No comments:
Post a Comment