Monday, July 15, 2013

The Almost UN-Birthday


The big girls celebrate their birthday tomorrow and we just had their party on Saturday. While everything turned out great, we had a few scares at the last minute.

The first scare was not such a surprise. I usually order cakes, in spite of the fact that most of the time they don't taste near as good as homemade. Oh, and by homemade I mean out of a box. But this year, Kaitlyn and Mackenzie both wanted something a little out of the ordinary.

Mackenzie wanted a bunny on her cake. After realizing how hard it was to get some place to put a cat or dog on a cake, I didn't see the point in attempting someone to do a bunny. I figured I'd just do it myself. But I hate the squirt decorating icing because it tastes disgusting. So in an attempt to find an alternative, we had a melting, sad little bunny on our cake. I find out hilarious and horrifying at the same time. I felt in my mind it could be fixed, but first had to assure Mackenzie who was not as confident. I finally had to tell her (as she had tears in her eyes) that the worst-case scenario was that we would throw it away and buy a ready-made cake with no bunny. Now THAT produced a smile! I had to make sure she knew I would never send her off to her own birthday with a disaster of a cake!


The final product (minus candles and a clean surface): Wha la!



Kaitlyn also wanted something special - a brownie cake! Basically brownies with icing, so I did that one too. Not quite as hard but it was hard to get out of the pan and ended up doing the day of which was a little stressful but not TOO bad.



The last big scare we had was that I talked to the owner of the business where we were having our party on Thursday night (party was Saturday afternoon) and he told me he was being forced out of his space and was trying to get everything up and running at a new location in a matter of two days! So we suddenly began thinking about a plan B. I told him to let me know by Friday morning if he had power or not and that we would decide after that. When I spoke on Friday (around noon really), he informed me that his landlord extended him through the weekend. So in spite of the fact that much had been cleared out, he was all set up and did a great party for the kids, even though I imagine under great stress!

We had our party at The Glazery, a ceramic painting place, and the owner "performs" for the kids before they ever paint. I'm pretty sure they like him more than the actual painting. Here he is spraying air all over everybody.


All eyes glued on the guy as he spills water on the floor, throws pie in his own face, and sprays everybody with air and confetti!



Onto the painting...




And lastly cake and presents. Nothing like pink fuzzy mustache stickers for a good laugh!


Anyway, it was a great birthday party and all worked out in the end! Success! 

1 comment:

  1. I think you saved both cakes beautifully...especially poor little bunny!i am a bit useless at that write on icing so gave up on names!
    What a great venue/idea for a party...so glad he went through the weekend for you!Gorgeous Birthday girls!!

    ReplyDelete