Once upon a time I was quite the football fan, particularly of my beloved Texas Aggies - a current top 10 team in the nation. They are still my beloved team, my alma mater, and have the best player in the nation. When I left college, I went back to about 3 games a year and would have gone to more if I could have afforded it. But it only took a couple years and then life got busy, and hectic, and the games got more expensive.
I got married and married someone who also played Division 1 football, for TCU. Well, he has just a LITTLE bit of interest in attending their games. And then I was working full-time in a banking career, and I was trying to work on the side to build a Mary Kay business so I could become a director and leave my banking career. That meant lots of weekend events. Football had to go by the wayside.
Then kids came. Two at a time. And how could I ever go to a game now? You can't exactly bring two babies into Kyle Field. Talk about a nightmare. And no one was beating down my door to watch my two babies or later my four children for an entire day or entire weekend so we could trek across Texas to our football games.
Amazingly though every year I go to one, usually two TCU games. Mike's parents have always agreed to watch them while we went to a game or even two. My Aggies are closer and can be done in a day, but my mom likes more frequent but shorter babysitting, not an entire day.
So once in a while we make it back to a game. We're working on it for this year. We all go to TCU (in spite of it being far the stadium is more kid-friendly). And we're taking the older girls to A&M this year (gotta put some Aggie blood in them!). But really, it's hard to even WATCH my Aggies on TV. Sometimes I have the game on, but we are out, doing kid stuff, or it is night and we are doing dinner, getting ready for bed, etc. Some of my guy friends go to tons of games. How lucky for them. Not as many as my girlfriends do because again, someone's got to stay with the kids. But then again, a bunch of them DO! How do they do it? I really can't figure it out.
And my kids don't exactly love going to games. I'm sure they will one day but they are not into it. So, I find that football and kids don't really mix. At least not for me and my family. Boo. Oh well. That being said, Gig 'em Aggies!
No comments:
Post a Comment