Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Chef Salad Mystery


Well the little girls seem to be adjusting to kindergarten just fine. Ashley's favorite thing is getting hot lunch. She has never liked lunch at home or bringing lunch from home. In fact, she's not a big lunch eater. But at dinner she eats almost as much as an adult!

Well, twice a week our school offers chef salad on the lunch menu. All my kids love chef salad! Hooray! But in spite of her efforts to keep getting it, every day it's on the menu she comes home and tells me she couldn't get one. We've all been trying to figure out WHY, especially since even her twin Reagan is managing to get one.

No one can seem to tell her either what the magic trick is.

"You have to order it in the morning when you tell your teacher what you're having."

"You're supposed to tell them in the line that you're getting the salad."

"Maybe you can only get it if you go in a certain line." (But the big girls tell us that's not right.)

Every time they have it, she intends to get it, but then never does. I'm thinking she is maybe not speaking up when she gets to the line, but then she told me she would and they told her she couldn't have one. And I'm thinking, "Why has her teacher or any teacher not shown them how to get the salads if they want that instead? How do they expect them to just know what to do?"

Finally I had to take matters into my own hands. Yesterday was chef salad day and I decided to join them for lunch. I get there 5 minutes early and talk to the lunch ladies. They tell me in all of kindergarten they have one chef salad ready with someone's name on it. I said, "is it Ashley?" No. "Is it Reagan?" Yep. Again! What is the deal? But now I know the breakdown is happening before the cafeteria.

So in they come and I explain to her teacher how many times she's attempted to get a chef salad and not been able to get one. Here's what I find out:  Her teacher never offered it! So in the morning, they say something like, "Raise your hand if you're having a bean burrito. Okay now who's ordering chicken tacos?" And she was just leaving off the salad option! So no salad was ever being ordered and Ashley would never say "what about the salad?"

Mystery solved! And the teacher said she didn't offer it to kindergartners because they never ate it, only the crackers. So I told her my daughter will eat it and she quickly agreed to start offering it. 

Oh, and the lunch ladies had ONE extra salad so they let Ashley have it. She was so pleased she finally got her salad! That was definitely my biggest accomplishment of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment