Now that school has started, I have heard several moms who have their last child at home mention to me how bored their little one is now that the others are away. So I guess that is one problem mine will never face. Of course, they still tell me they’re bored, but they honestly shouldn’t be. (Okay it’s my older ones that say that but still, why are they bored? A house full of toys and children.) So Ashley and Reagan have each other, and even though they miss their big sisters now that they have started kindergarten, it is not quiet in the house. They still have each other to play with. I must however clear up one thing. Just because twins have each other doesn’t mean they don’t need Mommy’s attention.
But, it IS nice that they can play together (and fight together) some of the time and that they don’t ALWAYS need me. And it’s great they are the same age and same sex! It makes them usually pretty agreeable on what they’ll play. But playing together takes a while. Even twins do parallel play just like other young children, but they do interact a little more because it is someone they are familiar with. They mostly play games like peek-a-boo or some form of chase (usually chasing because one has taken something from the other), or they sit side by side and do blocks or puzzles or something. But just the noisy chatter in the home I think keeps them from being completely bored while the big sisters are away. I imagine it’s comforting to know you’re not the only little tiny person in the house.
But, it IS nice that they can play together (and fight together) some of the time and that they don’t ALWAYS need me. And it’s great they are the same age and same sex! It makes them usually pretty agreeable on what they’ll play. But playing together takes a while. Even twins do parallel play just like other young children, but they do interact a little more because it is someone they are familiar with. They mostly play games like peek-a-boo or some form of chase (usually chasing because one has taken something from the other), or they sit side by side and do blocks or puzzles or something. But just the noisy chatter in the home I think keeps them from being completely bored while the big sisters are away. I imagine it’s comforting to know you’re not the only little tiny person in the house.
I always think “how lucky they are!” to have each other. They have no idea, and will never know, what it is like to NOT have a twin. Like most of us. I always wanted friends over when I was a kid. Always had people spending the night. Wanted a playmate on vacations. They will never know what that feels like. They will always have a buddy! So blessed! I just hope they realize it sooner than later.
This is such a great post and SOOOO true! I knew a mom who used to bring her kids to the same Kindergym class I brought Cole and Bella to when they were younger. She had a set of twins and then 5 years later, she had a singleton. I remember her telling me how sad she was for her singleton that he would never get to experience life with a twin. She worried about him feeling different and left-out. Then I had my 2nd set of twins and only then could I really understand what she meant.
ReplyDelete