The last few weeks my toddlers' behavior is definitely entering the terrible two stage. Reagan is undoubtedly there - crazy temper tantrums, thrashing, the whole bit. Ashley is just getting more clingy all of a sudden. I guess Ashley is not really in the terrible twos yet, but lately she is following me around crying and wanting to be carried all the time - it's a bit like nails on a chalkboard to me. Especially when it's in stereo.
So today I was ready for my much needed naptime break. I finally put them down, got the big girls their lunch, and headed off for my mid-day shower because it's either then or 6am. I'm in the shower and all of a sudden I hear the bedroom door fling open. To my shock it is Ashley!! My 22-month-old little girl who I have never even once seen her put a foot up on her crib rail. (Though she climbs on everything, has way too much energy, and is as strong as an ox!) About 30 seconds later the big girls come running in with giddy smiles on their faces because there is drama in the Janak home! They scream, "Mommy!! We were eating and Ashley just starting coming down the stairs!" I'm thinking, "You have got to be kidding me." I knew this would be coming soon but I didn't think it would be today! No!!!
That means my days of sleeping well are probably over for a good while. How many times with the big girls was I up in the night during this stage? I remember sleeping in various rooms/couches/floors/beds/hallways all over the house for probably a good six months. Oh goodness. So what's on the agenda tomorrow? Taking down the rail and babyproofing her room. Right now she is in the guest room while Reagan is in the baby room. I know - seems unfair but splitting them up is completely necessary and essential to my sanity. I learned that the hard way the first time around.
I would love to say "maybe it was just a fluke" and chance that she won't do that again. But I've already learned that one the hard way as well. Though she'd never climbed out, Kaitlyn had put her leg on the rail many times, only to realize it wasn't a good idea and put it back down. Shame on me for thinking a barely 2-yr-old had enough sense to know that. Until one day I put her in her crib following much protest, closed the door, she went ballistic, and then I heard the loud boom on the floor and the crying. Poor thing broke her arm - we will not take that chance again.
(Kaitlyn modeling her cast after "the incident.")
Unfortunately that wasn't the only drama of the weekend either. Mike got into a small wreck yesterday and then to top it off my van decided to get a flat tire on the same day! The big girls were thrilled to see both the smashed hood and the flat tire! And watching the tow truck come and haul off Daddy's car was a real treat! Lots of entertainment around here for a day on which we did absolutely nothing. But it is Thanksgiving week and I am thankful for so much! Starting with my family.

No comments:
Post a Comment