Saturday, November 28, 2009

First Field Trip and the Kindergarten Feast

The week before Thanksgiving was a lot of fun for the big girls!  First they had their first field trip to Dewberry Farm.  After a disappointing cancellation in October due to weather, it was rescheduled for November.  Of course we'd had two straight weeks of gorgeous weather but the day the field trip came, a rainy cold front had blown through early that morning.  By some miracle, the rain was actually already gone but it left a REALLY cold and super windy day!  Lucky me who thought chapperoning was going to be so much fun!  Too bad I HATE the cold, especially when there was wind involved.  But you suck it up and do what you have to do.  (I often think I would have lots of moments like this if I were a mom to a bunch of boys.)



So here they are.  The twin thing once again offered a bit of a challenge because they are in separate classes.  I had to take one away from her class and join the other's.  So I took Mackenzie over with Kaitlyn's class for the day.  She actually didn't mind but all the kids had the buddy system and my girls refused to be buddies with each other.  They each had ridden with a different buddy on the bus.  So I told Mackenzie her buddy was on the other side of the farm with her class, so we had a buddy threesome, even though Kaitlyn really didn't want to share her buddy.




Kaitlyn on the hayride.  We were jampacked on that thing!



Mackenzie and her very long pumpkin vine.



Mackenzie and Kaitlyn on the giant air trampolines.  All the kids had a really great time on these.





















Kaitlyn on this pedal go-cart thing.  Lots to be said here.  First of all...talk about competitive and fast.  Look at her body position.  Also notice the tongue sticking out - she is really concentrating!  She also went off-road trying to pass a bunch of kids until she got caught up on a few tires.  And boy did she get mad!!  Lastly, like her hair?  It was SO windy and her hair was like a wild maniac.  She is trying to grow her bangs out so they are too short to pull way back.  So she has a crazy ponytail smack on the top of her head.  She looks a little Ed Grimley-ish but it kept it out of her face.



Then there's Mackenzie.  This pedal cart was just like how they ride bikes at home.  Kaitlyn the speed demon and Mackenzie the girl who likes to stop and smell the roses.  She usually says on our bike rides, "I just like to look at nature."  Everybody lapped her as she happily rode along. 



Mackenzie on the very big roller slide.



Kaitlyn coming out of the very fast winding slide.



Duck race, take #2.  Mackenzie got her finger pinched on take #1.  Luckily there was just enough time for one last race.



All in all it was a great but cold day.  The kids really didn't even notice.  How nice to be a kid again!  We all survived and another first in their lives.  We love Dewberry Farm!

Then Friday ended the week with the big kindergarten feast.  I went and served out pie to all the kids and got to wear a beautiful hairnet that no picture will be posted of. 

Here is Mackenzie in her Native American outfit.  Her Native American name was Blossom.



And here is Kaitlyn in her precious pilgrim bonnet.  Something about her looks so sweet and angelic!  I just melted when I saw her in her little bonnet. 






1 comment:

  1. It looks like you all had so much fun! I can imagine the challenges of having them in separate classes. That was one of my concerns initially but we ended up with Cole and Bella in the same kindergarten class after all. But things could change next year.

    So cute that one of the girls enjoys looking at nature as she cruises along. She's definitely gonna be the one who always stops to smell the flowers and appreciates the little things in life!

    ReplyDelete