Monday, September 13, 2010

Bye Bye Baby

Are you ever surprised by your own emotions? I love my kids of course, but it usually takes a lot for me to get all weepy about things (except children singing makes me tear up almost immediately). I’ve never been sad taking my kids on the first day of school. I have been excited, for them AND for me. Sometimes I wonder if I'm bad mom because I’m not crying to send them off? But I already know the answer to that – of course not! And I know I’m not the only one. It is good for ALL of us. So when the little girls started preschool a few weeks ago, I saw a mom wiping the tears from her eyes as she left the room. My heart truly hurt for her. And yet I was grinning from ear to ear! I’m sure it has something to do with having my babies two at a time and just wanting a LITTLE balance in my life. I know full well I’m going to see them again in just a few hours!

Anyway, so this week I am clearing out the stuff for our twin club’s big garage sale. I’ve slowly been selling a little here and there. Already got rid of the high chairs and a few other things. The little things don’t get to me. But I’m getting a little sad. I have no desire to have another baby, but I don’t know if I can say good-bye to all their little baby things. It also scares me! The bigger the item, the scarier it is! I am truly afraid to get rid of the cribs and the furniture. You know, as luck would have it, we spent years undergoing fertility treatments but the day we get rid of the baby stuff…bingo! It’s just like having twins twice. I just had this feeling either we would have no more the second time around or we would have twins again. Because life just works that way.

So I’m slowly collecting stuff and putting it in my closet so I can tag it for this weekend. The bouncers were sitting on my bathroom floor and Reagan turned them on, and there I am in the shower having a flashback of all the many, many showers I took while my babies slept or played right there in those bouncers. I LOVED the bouncers! With the second set we actually had 3 plus a portable swing and those things went all around the house with me. Heck, Ashley & Mackenzie slept many a night in their bouncers! I figured, if they were happy to sleep there and not the crib, just let ‘em sleep! Except when Ashley woke up in the night and flipped the whole thing over. That was the end of that, but it was a big help with her reflux.

So there it is. I’m not really a baby person. I might have been, had it been easier. But it was doubly hard. I cringe a little when I think about someone having a new baby. Is that terrible? Don’t get me wrong – I’m happy for them, but to think of all the feedings, night wakings, lack of sleep and overall major change in lifestyle, it’s not something that makes me want another. I love the 4 I’ve got! But I’m glad all that is nearly behind me. That’s why it’s strange when these emotions pop up. I don’t know if I’m ready to get rid of everything, even if we have no intention of using them anymore. There’s some kind of strange peace and security in knowing all those precious things are there. (I think this is maybe how hoarders start out…if you see me on TV in 10 years, you know what happened. Just kidding. I don’t have hoarding tendencies.)

But to hang onto so much stuff doesn’t make any sense:


Bye-bye bouncers









Bye-bye cribs (big girl beds coming Friday)







Bye-bye Noah’s Ark/Safari Animal nursery



Bye-bye precious Halloween costumes, cutest pumpkins ever



Bye-bye exersaucer





Bye-bye baby bathtub









Bye-bye other baby stuff





Bye-bye baby teeth (first one is on its way out as there is already a permanent one coming through behind it. THIS makes me sad – I love their baby teeth and their whole face changes once the big teeth come through.)



Bye-bye babyhood.




On a side note: while I was typing this, Reagan got busy playing in the bouncers.



Then I couldn't find her OR the bouncer, until I came upon this:



And of course then Ashley had to get in on it.


I need these things gone NOW before they snap in two!

7 comments:

  1. I'm convinced now more than ever that we are the same person!!!! Every thought you write about has crossed my mind at one time or another. It's crazy how similar we are!!

    I do get a little sad during the milestones only because they're bittersweet and I know we're done. Once the little twins pass a milestone, I know we'll never experience it again and that's what makes me a little emotional.

    When a friend has a baby, I seriously say "ugh" to myself in my head. No thank you...seriously. I don't think "awww, how sweet...a new baby". I just have instant flashbacks to never sleeping at night, crying all the time, juggling bottles and babies...the first 3-6 months was crazy chaos.

    We had the same exact baby stuff too...even down to the jumperoo, which all my kids loved!!!! When I got ready to sell all my stuff, Cole actually did break one of the bouncey seats!!

    I love all the baby pics you posted...all my babies slept in their bouncey seats (and the papasan chairs...did you have those also...they were amazing!!!) We used to swaddle the babies and let them sleep in their bouncey seats or the papasan chairs and they were completely happy. I was willing to let them sleep anywhere as long as they slept!!!

    I can see why you'd feel badly for the mother who walked out of the room with tears in her eyes but she probably only has one child. Us moms of multiples see a moment like that as nothing other than FREEDOM!!!! That doesn't make us bad moms at all. In fact, I don't know about you, but having this time away from the kiddos on a daily basis has made me enjoy my time with them even more. I'm so much more patient and calm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like the big girls don't want to let go of the bouncers either! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Dop!!! I know we already talked about it but I am WITH YOU on the first day of school. BYE BYE kids! Ha!! Seriously we had fun in school and they will too, whats to be sad about?

    On the baby stuff - I LOVE getting rid of the big stuff. The smaller the baby, the bigger and uglier the stuff is!! We don't have a lot of room in our house so bye bye exersaucer - that was a happy day!! The stuff I can't / won't get rid of is the smaller stuff - like a onesie that each kid wore a lot, or Charlie's first curl from his first haircut. The first tooth may sting a little too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha! Now I know what you are thinking when you see me with the twins :) So I have to ask before you sell some of those items...can I buy them from you? I am interested in the jumperoo, floor playmat and maybe the exersaucer. I was just thinking I needed to start looking for some of these things so I can be prepared when they get to those stages. I was thinking about going to the buy-sell but my hubby usually works on Sat and Im not going with 3 kids. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate! I sent Serena to Kindergarten and I have not shed a tear, yet I have talked to one other mom who is having a hard time letting her daughter go...I am wanting Serena to be independent, to make friends and enjoy school!

    I love these pics and we had the same bouncer thing! The Exersaucer! Both Serena and Brandon loved it!

    I think you are really a wonderful person. Being blessed 2 times with twins, takes a special mom. My sister has twins, they are boys and turned one on Aug 26th. She also has two daughters, 5 and 3. So, she knows how it is to have a single baby vs twins right away...and I get weird about getting rid of things, too, even though I know we are done, it just seems so final! My sis was the same way when she sent our pregnant cousin all her maternity clothes, from all her pregnancy's she was sad. I think it just takes time to really admit we are DONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures are HILARIOUS!!!

    I'm one of those weird people who loves being pregnant, loves giving birth, and all of it! (Except for the no sleep thing. Oh, and breastfeeding has scarred me emotionally for life!). I truly cannot imagine having 2 sets of twins; I was telling my aunt yesterday how exhausting the newborns stage of twins was. I honestly don't know how I did it, and don't think I could do it again. We want one more. ONE more. But I've held on to so many of my twins' stuff...just in case. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is ashley's hand ok? (in the crib picture)

    ReplyDelete