Monday, September 27, 2010

Rainbows and Firetrucks

I think it's finally happened.  My mommy brain has turned to mush.  I am 100% a stay at home mom.  That is my life, other than the gym and my new calling at church.  That's the world I live in, and kind of all I have to talk about. I don't want to be one of those moms that only talks about my kids.  But what else is there?  When I'm with a bunch of adults, I look for the other women and hope I can bond with them. And usually I can. But sometimes I can't.  And sometimes I don't even know what else to talk about with my own husband.  And he should WANT to talk about the kids and hear all the stories because they're HIS kids.  If I worked all day I would be dying for someone to fill me in on all the things my kids are up to.

So we go out to eat Friday night.  Just a quick dinner to Chili's without the kids.  We step outside and there is honestly the most beautiful perfect rainbow I have ever seen.  I start getting all excited.  I didn't bring my phone with me but I can't go back in because Reagan might start crying.  I ask Mike for his phone so I can call my mother-in-law and tell all the kids to go see the rainbow.  Mike thinks I'm nuts.  He's taunting me by not giving me the phone immediately.  He's more focused on backing out the car, plugging in the phone, stuff like that.  Just give me the phone already!  Rainbows can fade fast, man!  Finally!  He makes the call.  Whew!  Relief.  Now I can happily go to dinner knowing my kids got to see the most perfect rainbow ever.

We get to Chili's.  In the back of the parking lot there's this gorgeous bright red firetruck.  I say "Hey look!  A firetruck!"  I guess when you're 35 years old you don't get all excited when another adult points out a firetruck.  He just looks at me.  Then I laugh.  Goodness!  Is this what I've come to?  Rainbows and firetrucks!  But when you have to keep 4 kids happy and entertained all day you look for anything and everything to bring joy to their little souls.  And the simple things in life suddenly become exciting.  It's one of the wonders of motherhood that I suppose those that aren't in the peak of it or aren't in it all just don't get. 

That's okay.  I like my little life.  And I like my job.  I'd take it over any career any day.

2 comments:

  1. LOL Dop! I love you. A FIRETRUCK!! See Mike? See? Hahahaha.. don't we all do that?!

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way. In fact, when Hubby and I go out on a date, our rule is that for the first hour we can't talk about the kids. Sometimes it's pretty quiet, but I don't mind. We just hold hands, or enjoy each others' company in the quiet. When the hour is up, the conversation turns back to poop and funny things our kids say!

    ReplyDelete