Saturday, September 18, 2010

Oops - I Didn't Mean It To Sound That Way

Ok, hopefully you will find this funny and nothing else...

Reagan has been toting around the last week a very small little baby doll with little white underclothes (thus she named the baby "White"), except now it's missing.  I've looked everywhere.  There's a small chance she left it in a shopping cart.  Maybe if I get a chance I can go back to a couple stores this week and check.

But Thursday I took the little girls to the gym.  When it was time to go, Reagan didn't want to let go of another little baby doll she had found to play with.  I tried every tactic to get her to go put it down but nothing worked.  So I finally just pried the little baby from her death grip, handed it over to the child care workers, and then, in an effort to get her thoughts onto something else, said, "Reagan, you just need to find your WHITE baby."  It was right after that that I realized the baby I just handed back was a black baby!  They must have thought I was some kind of racist!  I was just referring to the baby's clothes but I'm sure it sounded like I was talking about skin color.  How horrible!  As if I would only let my daughter play with a white baby doll!  Oh well, it was said in innocence. And it seemed like it would only make things worse if I then tried to explain.  So I let it go and we headed out.

Oops.



Funny thing...I just posted this only 5 minutes ago and Reagan just found the white baby after searching for the last 3 days.

2 comments: