Combine that with the fact that I've been thinking a lot about my older girls who are 6 1/2. In our church, the minimum age for baptism is age 8. So they are a year and a half away from baptism. Yes we take them to church and I answer all questions to the best of my ability, and I pray with them at night. But it pretty much ends there. So I've been thinking a lot lately how we have not done a good job of modeling for them how to have a spiritual relationship with their Heavenly Father or with the Savior. So a lot of my resolutions have to do with me (and Mike) doing more around here than just getting by and surviving. Until now, that is all we have felt we have had capacity to do.
My other resolutions mostly involve my health, which I am still having unresolved issues with. When I know more I will divulge what is going on but until then just know that things are not normal though I don't really feel all that bad. In the process of lots of doctor appointments and tests, so far most of which are coming out normal, so I can get to the bottom of this and move forward.
So my resolutions are:
1. To read my scriptures before I get on the computer every morning
2. To read scriptures with my big girls before they go to bed every night
3. To get to church on time
We are usually in the foyer because we are so late and because our kids are so difficult but it is time they learn to be more reverent. Yesterday we managed to move from the foyer to the back row - yay us!
4. To pray as a family before school
I have been praying on the way but not the BEST way to pray and Mike is not in the car so they are not seeing their dad in this light which I think is important.
5. To hold Family Home Evening twice a month
FHE is a program designed by our church where families get together once a week, have a brief lesson, activity, song, scripture, treat to strengthen the family and teach gospel principles in the home.
6. To spend more quality time with my kids -
Activities, crafts, games, etc - just to be there for them and not always be so "busy"
7. To spend less time on the computer -
A challenge for me since it's my outlet to the world and also a nice place to sit and get off my feet for 10 minutes at a time.
8. To plan meals and cook healthier
I have been trying but find it kills me to cook at night - so physically exhausting! Anyone else have this problem? The nights I cook it just wipes me out!
9. To cut down on Dr.Pepper.
I have already cut down from 2 a day to 1 a day. Amazingly, my headaches I used to get 2 or 3 times a week have almost vanished since cutting down 6 weeks ago! Would still like to cut down more - maybe one every other day.
10. And to exercise 3 times a week
The current goal has been twice a week but I've been having problems with my circulation and need to make time for a third - I am finding that when I don't manage to get to the gym that I am turning on the Wii Dance Party 2 and loving it! I am feeling like I get to dance again - something from my youth that I miss BADLY!!
So there you go. It's a lot but I'm doing pretty good with most of them. The spiritual goals and the health goals are both really important right now so I have extra drive that I don't normally have.
By the way, I have been thinking about changing my blog address soon. I would have done it sooner but I think it's going to be a big job. If you want to go ahead and add the new blog on your blogroll it will probably just sit at the bottom til I get it going but I'd like to get it transferred over next month. The new address will be http://twosetsallgirls.blogspot.com/. I will send out more notices but just starting to get the word out now.
Great post! I still find myself in "survival mode" most days. I was hopeful that when the quads turn 2, we could focus more on the big picture, but I'm still not really there. I'll keep my fingers crossed that 3 is a big turning point.
ReplyDeleteWe need to so a better job of praying as a family as well. I feel terrible when I let these things slide, but you understand how tough it can be. Good for you getting all six of you to church on time! I am terrible about showing up late...
I didn't make any new year's resolutions, but you have inspired me that maybe it isn't too late. We could certainly stand for a bit of improvement around here.
I need to work on the scriptures in the morning too and less computer time. I really don't spend a ton of time on the computer, but when you factor in that with 2 sets you don't really have all that much free time anyways, it does take up a lot of my extra me time. I need to get away from feeling so dependent on it.
ReplyDeleteKeep me posted on your health. I've been worried and I hope doctors can find out what is going on.
3??? Wow. We are going to be there soon too.
I'll be praying for your health. It is hard to be everything to everyone when you aren't feeling great.
ReplyDeleteWe have been struggling with how to instill our faith in our kids as well. We started doing a kids devotional book every morning at the breakfast table. Each day is short (so, manageable) and it has forced us to all sit down at the same time. I also try to pray every time I am in the car with the kids because I seem to be hauling them all over town and the time and I have a (forced) captive audience.
And good for your for all the exercise! I am still using the little ones as my excuse for not getting back in shape. :)
Oh, we cut out sodas TOTALLY from our diet a long time ago. Not only will you not get that many headaches you might not end up with a neurological disease like MS either! Don't drink anything with aspartame or any other artificial sugar in it! Just some unsolicited advice from one mom to another.
ReplyDelete