Thursday, February 3, 2011

Instilling Our Faith


After reading the comments from my last post, it sounds like I’m not the only one who struggles with how to make the time for spiritual teaching with so many young kids around. So after thinking about it, I thought I’d at least share what HAS worked very well for me in the last few years.

In addition to just taking them to church and saying daily prayers, one thing that has worked very well for me ever since they were about 3 is that I committed on Sundays to start reading “Sunday” books at bedtime instead of letting them pick from the whole bookshelf. I put them in a separate section so it would be easy for them to choose and it included everything that had anything to do with God, church, reverence, spirituality, etc. You get my drift.

Anyway, it worked really well! And my kids chose books that normally sat there and got overlooked, and they learned a lot. In fact their Sunday School teachers were always impressed at how much they knew! They thought I was doing this great job but in reality, all I did was once a week switch the types of books we read without really adding anything extra into our routine.

So, just thought I’d pass that along to anyone who may be struggling in this area.

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much they soak in so young. We started reading scriptures during breakfast (we just started this week) and so far its worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is absolutely true. I don't have time set aside to read the Bible with them every day, but for some reason whenever I do read them something from their Bible book, they remember it forever!! And they do attend church with us. BTW, I fixed some settings on my blog that did not work properly!

    ReplyDelete