This was my epiphany the other night. Okay, it wasn't exactly something I didn't already know. I frequently try to not fix dinner or bathe my kids in the same night. Can you believe that? But by the second bath, if not sooner, I usually feel like I'm going to break in two.
But this week I realized, giving the kids a bath is only what puts the nail in the coffin. The problem is really cooking dinner. It kills me! Does anyone else have this problem? My back is in so much pain by the time dinner is done that I no longer want to move. And yet there are still 4 children to put to bed, a kitchen to clean, lunches to make, folders to go through, and anything else that has to be done before morning.
This is why I will not feel bad to still be a stay at home mom even when all my kids are in school. From 3 o' clock on it's game on until I pass out at night.
But it's the cooking that really does me in. Other nights I feel so much better! It doesn't help that I don't like cooking either. I cook because I like to eat, and because I want my kids to eat something other than chicken nuggets and french fries (which we eat plenty of as it is).
Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? Does cooking a meal take everything out of you physically? How do chefs do it?
I totally understand. It doesn't even hurt my back but I think cooking is the worst. I am not good at it, people don't like eating it, and it is a lot of work. Kudos to you for making the effort! :)
ReplyDeleteI think that time from about 4-7 is just crazy. And having to do ANYTHING during that time drains me.
ReplyDeleteOh that's how I usually feel cooking all day on Thanksgiving; only difference being the muscles between my shoulder blades get very sore! By the time the turkey is done - I'm done too! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI totally feel you! I've recently come to enjoy cooking a whole lot more but that was AFTER discovering how much easier menu planning made my life. Oh and then on Pinterest I stumbled upon this awesome site where the lady wrote about freezer crockpot cooking! She takes a few hours on the weekend and prepares several ziploc bags full of crockpot meals and then freezes them. Then all she has to do that morning is dump the frozen food in her crockpot, set it to low or high and let it do the cooking for her!
ReplyDeleteI'm really trying to find ways to make the whole cooking thing easier because usually by 5:30'ish, I'm ready to drop. And there's still the bathtime, bedtime routine to go through which usually sends me over the edge.