The day we got there we drove straight to the center of town to go strolling on the San Antonio Riverwalk. First we did the river boat tour. It's hard to tell but we are actually on a boat in this photo.
This one shows it better.
After the tour we went "strolling" on the riverwalk. We definitely had to hang onto the little ones because the walkways are small and the river is just right there to fall into.
Then dinner time. Nothing says Riverwalk like Mexican food. Though, as a Mexican food connoisseur, it is probably more ambience than it is the food. At least at some of the more popular, more long-standing restaurants. But doesn't it just look bliss there? Spring time outside on the riverwalk - love it.
Later we finally got to our hotel. We got checked in and while waiting for the bags to come up realized we had a PERFECT view of the outdoor movie from our balcony!
Also while waiting we discovered evidence of people who were there before us. Not sure if it was from the maids' snack break or evidence of the poor maid service that they missed something left by previous guests, but look what graced our shower. The hotel was very embarrassed. Everything else looked clean so we stayed in our room. We all got a good laugh but hope we don't ever see a banana peel in our shower again!
Then the kids went wild. Mike captured it perfectly. Airborne #1:
Airborne #2 - Spread eagle style:
After we finally got them to bed and had a good night's rest, the next morning we (and what seemed like 5 million other people) headed out for our marathon day at Seaworld.
First we checked out the dolphins (Picture below, not above. I realized when I went back to read this that someone might think I thought the shark was a dolphin. No people I do not think that is a dolpin). Those suckers (the dolphins) can swim fast!
We rode the Shamu coaster.
The big girls got to go up in this monstrous structure...
...While I attempted to entertain the little girls by having their pictures taken with Sesame Street characters.
Truth be told - the first half of the day was not so great. The park was well over capacity. The lines were long (which we expected for rides but to get any food at all other than popcorn, cotton candy and ice cream also required hour-long lines). The big play structure was too big and open-ended for the little girls to safely play in. Then as soon as we got into the water part they cleared it out to drain the water. Seriously? Did someone tell them it was spring break? So it was stressful and we didn't have a lot to show for our day so far (Just watched the dolphins, Shamu coaster, attempt at the water and Bay of Play area, and one Shamu show in the splash zone which explains the lack of pictures from that). But after having our lunner (lunch/dinner at 4pm which STILL took an hour in line), things started going much better.
I found a water area which was supposedly enclosed. (Though someone told me today that area actually did have another opening. Good thing I was snapping pictures of them the whole time (and thus watching closely)! Gee. But ignorance is bliss I guess.) While the big girls were off riding rides with Mike, I happily took photos of the little girls and sat in a nice chair that opened up for me and finally I was content.
Until Ashley (who never quits running) busted it on the pavement. Here is what her perspective looked like, as captured accidentally on my iPhone. This is me bending over to pick her up.
Meanwhile, the big girls rode this GIANT named the Steel Eel.
On the one hand I completely think they're too little for these types of rides. On the other I think these giant Seaworld coasters are probably safer than the dinky rodeo coasters. Needless to say, Mike liked the roller coaster but Kaitlyn and Mackenzie did not. Hopefully they've gotten their fill of the big rides now and won't keep asking for a while to go on that type stuff.
Since the park finally started clearing out a bit we decided to stay til close (10pm!) and get our money's worth. This was my favorite thing of the whole trip - the Azul dolphin show! It was like dolphins meet Cirque de Soleil meet synchronized swimming meet Olympic diving meet slapstick funny. We all loved it!
In between "night" shows, somehow my dear hubby talked us into going on the river ride. It was actually the one thing I really wanted to do and I had already accepted that it wasn't happening. After the splash area I thought we were all dry for good. Dear hubby did not believe me that we would get soaked on the thing. It was dark at that point, but I wanted to ride it and there was NO line. I felt like how could we pass it up, though if it weren't for him pushing for it I wouldn't have done it then because we were back in the 60s once the sun went down. Needless to say, we went. We went under a waterfall (I knew that was going to happen). We got drenched. Reagan was very upset. I was quite cold (which is one of my most hated things), but I was trying to laugh it off in the name of fun.
We headed to the Shamu Rocks show - last thing before closing time. I actually enjoyed the night time Shamu Rocks show much more than the day show. Perhaps it was because we weren't in the splash zone this time. Or maybe it was delirium setting in from the cold.
And that wrapped up an overall successful day at Seaworld and for sure the highlight of our spring break! I would definitely go back, though probably not during spring break, and I would definitely sneak in a lunch.





No comments:
Post a Comment