I chaperoned the 2nd grade field trip last week. We went to Brazos Bend State Park, a large camping ground and park where my husband has taken my kids several times. The park is mostly known for its alligator population! They have a lot of swampy lakes that have tons of gators. We didn't go to the most populated part (though I think we were supposed to go on a bridge that overlooked a bunch and it didn't happen). Still, you could have gone right up to this sign and beyond if you wanted to. That's perfect for 120 2nd graders don't you think?
Our group only saw a total of 4, and most of them were little, except this bad boy. We weren't close to this one at all but I would guess he was about 7-8 feet long. Yikes!
I actually really enjoyed this field trip. At first I was concerned after getting a glass shard stuck in the bottom of my foot the night before. After a difficult home removal, I deducted it was at least in a place that would be okay and it was. The kids seemed to have a good time until the end when it got hot. Then the whining and complaining started. The kids were whining too! Seriously I'm not joking. Yes it got a bit hot but this ain't nothing yet! And it was dry heat so I was more than fine. I was disappointed that my group didn't go on either of our trails, but there were a number of parents wanting nothing to do with going on a trail. One mom said, "Why do the teachers think they need to do that?" Um, because it's a field trip to a place with trails. That's what you do here! I'm glad that for once I was the trooper and not the wimpy one! Then again, this was nothing compared to our 2-mile August hike last summer.
So it was my favorite of all the field trips so far. The farm was freezing and windy, the zoo was hot and unbearable, and the museum is, well, a museum (aka boring). This one wins in my book, man-eating gators, snakes, and all!
No comments:
Post a Comment