Friday, April 20, 2012

They Keep Me Laughing



My 4-year-olds have provided me with a lot of laughter along with other good moments the last several months. That's one of the things that you gotta love about this age.




First I'll start with Reagan (who by the way can now hula hoop really well and is not even 4 1/2. This is the same child who could also pump her own swing at an early 3).


One day she was taking care of a dead bug for 30 minutes. Holding him so carefully and watching TV with him in her little hands. She finally went outside and threw him up into the air to set him free. Then he landed on the patio and that was the end.

Took my kids to see the local high school's Wizard of Oz. It was the little girls' first play. Reagan asked me, "Can we pause this?"

Oh, and I forgot to add on my last post, when we went camping, and we were "hiking," Reagan out of nowhere asked, "Mommy, is this a honeymoon?" Well, it might be for some people but definitely not mine!

Now onto Ashley. She keeps us on our toes constantly, but also provides us with a LOT of laughter:

One morning on the way to school she asked, "Mommy, what if a squirrel gets baptized?"

She also leaves every decision to eenie meenie miney mo. I mean EVERY decision. Sometimes I just don't have the patience to wait til the end of it.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could all do that? What should I cook for dinner? What should I wear to the Christmas party? What preschool should I send my kids to? Ahhh, yes, that would be nice.

In the car one day - Me: "Ashley, if you don't stop kicking the back of my seat I'm going to pop you!" 

Ashley: "POP me? Like a bubble? Like a balloon?" 

The visual cracks me up. I guess I'd never said that before. She was so confused she forgot all about kicking the seat.

One day she told me "When I do something wrong, I'm just kidding." Nice try.

Another day I told one of the kids they had a milk mustache. Don't remember what they were eating at the time but Ashley had it all over. She chimed in, "And I have a SAUCE-stache." Pretty witty for a 4-year-old.


The girls are all taking indoor swim lessons to get a head start for the summer. There is a urinal there in the girls' bathroom. Of course I have to warn the little girls not to touch and how it's not a sink and all that jazz. Then come the questions. I tell them it's for boys to tee-tee in. "Why do they tee-tee in that?" "Because boys have different bottoms than girls." (Something girls don't know if they don't have brothers.) At this point we are trying quickly to get back to the pool because it's time for the lesson to start. But the questions keep coming. In the lobby. With all the other people around. "They have different bottoms?" "Yes, we'll talk about this later." "Mom, do boys have square bottoms?" (The shape of the urinal) "We'll talk about this later." I must have told her several times "we'll talk later" in my efforts to shush her and keep her from embarrassing us all. Then the questions just came in a loud whisper. We never DID discuss it later. I actually forgot til just now. Oh well. I'm sure it will come up again the next time we see a urinal and there are 20 people to listen to this very private and personal explanation of the human anatomy.


We got new landscaping put in. (Yay!!) While one of the workmen was in the backyard, we were watching him out the window push a wheelbarrow full of plants across the yard. I said "Look at all those plants he has!" Ash let out a big "Wooo hoooo!!!" That's when he turned around and looked. He heard her! He must have thought WE were catcalling HIM!


For Easter the kids got quite a few "Star Wars," aka Starbursts. Until the little girls put them all in a cup and then left it outside in the rain. No more Star Wars.


Once again in another lobby full of parents, Ashley was thirsty. She went into the gym to get water from the water fountain. They have a really pathetic water fountain that shoots water about 2-3 feet when you push the button and then drop to a near trickle. My kids have kind of gotten used to it but Ashley didn't do such a good job last time. She came back semi-soaked. But then she discovered the GREATNESS of her shirt being soaked! She exclaimed, "I've got water right HERE!" as she realized she could just suck the water right out of her shirt. She was delighted, and I was so proud. Then she went into the bathroom where Reagan was, came back out and left Reagan on the potty with the door open. I called Reagan to see what she was doing. "Going to the potty!" All the parents were delighted at the thought of another child going potty for all of them to witness. Closed the door but first grabbed some paper towels to sop up some of Ashley's shirt water. When I tried to do it she pulled back, "No, I want my water!" and sucked on her shirt some more. Again, I was the envy of all the other parents. At least everyone had a good laugh.






Mackenzie on the other hand can sometimes be the queen of drama. She was in one of her funks recently. She told me she thinks the world is a big ball of darkness. Really? She's 7. What's she going to be like when she's 15? I know with 4 girls we are in for SO much drama.

But the sweetest thing was this conversation the other night between the little girls. They were being made to clean up their HUGE messes I had just discovered at bedtime and they were having this full-on conversation about what it's like to be a mother (I guess because I had been yelling at them). Reagan said "it's hard and you have to work a lot, no matter what." Then Ashley said "Yeah, but you get to do whatever you want, like eat chips." They concluded that it takes a long time to grow up and be a mother and that they're happy just being kids because they get to play on my phone. 


Oh, and I mustn't forget one other sweet thing. Ashley is FINALLY saying "I love you" to me. Sigh...(with smile on my face). She never says it. I never even really realized it until she DID say it one night when she went to bed. On her own, proactively. I've made such a big deal over it that now she says it a lot! 


And that, my friends, sums up what's been going on around here. That and the end of the school year busyness going on. The count is on til summer. But who can think about it? Summer, what's that??





No comments:

Post a Comment