Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Day Reunion

Memorial Day weekend we went to the hill country (central Texas) to go to a family reunion on my husband's mother's side of the family (The "Day" family). His mom is the only girl and has 7 brothers. One passed away a couple years ago and one died young, Michael, who my Mike was named after. A couple of them I've met several times but the rest I've only met maybe once.

Here is a picture of Mike's mom with her 5 living brothers. Don't they all look alike? I think they do anyway. 


I think because there are so many of them Mike isn't all that close to many of his uncles and cousins. So it was nice to see them all together and see more of their heritage. They grew up on a farm and had to pick cotton in the fields and all share and itty bitty house. They didn't have much at all and their mom, Grandma Day was the glue that kept it all together. The boys were wild and Mike's mom was the sweet girl who stayed shielded from all the rowdiness.  (I hope they don't mind me writing about them but it's part of my husband's and my children's heritage that it would be nice to have it recorded.)

Mike's mom made sure each family represented had a family photo. Here's ours, minus Mike's sister who wasn't able to come. Mike was named by his mom as the official photographer of the day, except someone else had to take our family photo. I guess they didn't like Mike's and his dad's heads for some reason!


Here is a picture of Mike with some of his cousins. I have to admit it's confusing to know who's who! I'm not even talking names, just knowing what relation each person was. So the pictures really help!


After some DELICIOUS food and tons of it, the kids spent the rest of the afternoon playing in the pool with some of their great uncles and 2nd cousins. Ashley (4 years old) even learned how to do a flip into the pool! That kid is crazy, that's all I can say.


Anyway, it was a nice afternoon in Austin, TX, getting to know more of Mike's family. His mom and uncles seemed really happy to get together. I'm glad they did. It seems like these days it usually takes a funeral to get families together. How nice that they actually planned a happy occasion to celebrate. It's so easy to just get caught up in busy life and not take time for that sort of thing. Now they're already planning the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment