Our July 4th started early. Mike signed us up all up to do the Freedom Family Walk again (following Mike's 5K run that was proceeding the family walk). I will admit I wasn't very enthused about it since it was the first time I had to set my alarm all summer. I am NOT a morning person, especially on a holiday. But, that being said, after we got all the complaining kids dressed and to the starting line, it turned out pretty well.
Mackenzie actually took off and we never saw her again until the finish. Everyone else took a nice, leisurely walk, though there was a little bit of running across this bridge.
I eventually left the other kids behind with Mike and ran off to catch up with Mackenzie. I didn't want her just milling around the finish line area unsupervised. But she was already there when I found her. Good job, Mackenzie! For someone who doesn't like to run I was completely impressed with her!
The others at the finish - You can tell how humid it is here because my camera kept fogging up!
Immediately after the Freedom Walk we went around the corner to our church's 4th of July pancake breakfast (no pictures of that). After being well-fed we went home, and then later we went to the pool.
After lots of rest in the afternoon, we cooked out on the grill and then headed to go see fireworks. There is a little greenbelt spot that's by a house of a friend of ours It is removed from the big crowds and yet very close to the launch spot! Here are the grownups ready and waiting.
Our kids played on some of our friend's swings and stuff that are on the greenbelt.
Then the big show. I could have done without the mosquitos that for some reason thought nothing of my mosquito spray and came after me with a vengeance. But other than that, the fireworks were great! The finale was one of the best I've ever seen! It was literally bigger than my eyes could see - I guess because we were so close!
It was a great day but I definitely have to mention that the next day the kids were like zombies. I've never seen them so tired! Hopefully that's a sign of a good day!






No comments:
Post a Comment