Friday, September 7, 2012

Election Anyone?



The election is coming up. Oh boy. I don’t know about the rest of you, but beyond my own hopes and fears regarding the outcome and everything it all means for my country, my own life, my children’s and beyond, I am finding myself really not knowing what I should “do” about it (I am not referring to voting, obviously, or actually getting involved in a campaign, not that that isn’t a great thing but just not something I am interested in doing at this point in time). Perhaps you might be having many of the same thoughts.

I think as mature adults, we often feel it is our responsibility and even a privilege to try to make a difference. This is why so many people frequently post articles, links, comments, etc. It seems wrong to just sit back and say nothing. But are comments, links, articles and more that are blasted out to the masses, who by the way are people I generally like, not only effective but worth it?

Yes I’m primarily talking about Facebook. Those that are on it know what I mean. I like Facebook. I like it for fun. I like it as an outlet. I like it for finding common ground with others. I am even okay with people using it for whatever they want to use it for, because in that they are showing who they are, or who they want people to think they are. But I guess the problem is when one side goes on the attack. If it’s attacking my side, then regardless if I want to mind my own business, I then want to defend. But I don’t want to argue with these people. I know it will go nowhere.

So I find myself in this constant state of conflict. Do I say something? Do I hold my tongue? Do I respond? Then what will follow once I respond? Then I’m really in the middle of it. Then I open myself to attacks from pretty much anybody. Do I be proactive and go on the attack? Do I dare just make a funny joke that really everyone on both sides should appreciate but ultimately will probably stir people up? (Like the other night I was thinking that a great post would be “One thing’s for sure, Slick Willie’s still slick.” But then would people know what I meant by it? Would they be offended? Would they think it was funny? Better say nothing.)

And though I definitely lean to one side, as the nation continues to become ever more polarized I find myself being pushed even farther to that side. The real truth is, even though I lean heavily to one side, I think we need both sides. One side is stronger in one area, the other side stronger in another. When we keep alternating, some things stay in check. But it’s getting harder to alternate when the two sides are getting more extreme. Where are the moderates? Seems like moderates would do the best job, right? A moderate would please more people and do things that made more sense to all.

Then there’s religion. I’m Mormon. A certain candidate is also Mormon. I get not liking someone for their policies. I even get not liking them just because of their personality (though I don’t think that should be what we’re voting on). And I get people wanting their president to be their religion. But what I don’t get is how the fact that Mitt Romney is Mormon could actually be a deal breaker (unless it was because Mormons in general were too conservative and you were a liberal). But what I really want to say to the world is that it’s time to get over the Mormon thing, not just in politics but everywhere. If people knew our hearts there would be no issue. 

Mormons are good, God-fearing, hard-working people on the whole. We believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who atoned for our sins, died on the cross, and rose again on the 3rd day. Why does anything else matter? Why do so many focus on the DIFFERENCES in our religions? It’s time for the rude insults toward Mormons to stop, especially when done by the media or in the political arena. And it’s time for the rest of America to see that Mormons are your friends and neighbors, and that you should know them for them and who they say they are and what they say they believe, not what you are taught by your pastor or by some inaccurate news show or some book or internet post written by some disgruntled ex-member who feels like they are out for revenge.

Talk about Mormons is everywhere right now. I’ve almost posted different articles and stuff so many times. And yet not once have I done it.

I guess when it comes down to it all, I have so many things that I would like to say, and instead of constantly saying things (so that I can get it all out there), how do you pick and choose? The subject matter is too big. So I become paralyzed and say nothing. And I figure perhaps that is better anyway. Whose mind would I really be changing? Let’s just keep things light and happy on Facebook and in our casual relationships and keep people updated on the funny things that we and our kids are up to. If only it weren’t for that darn guilt sitting on my shoulder saying “you really have a duty to speak up.” So I continue to brush off that guilt. And then I am happy with myself for being silent when I read what others say.

I know we are all tired of it all. But I was just wondering if everyone else felt all the internal drama going on that I feel?

I wrote this last night. Today I am realizing that more of the comments I am seeing are requests to keep politics off Facebook. I’m for that! All it seems to do is turn people off. So I have concluded that holding my tongue, as I have been doing thus far, is really the best way to go. Nothing good is going to come out of saying anything. I’ll save my views for real discussions as they arise.

Anyone want to talk about money now?

2 comments:

  1. Yes.

    I agree sooooo much with this post. First of all, I feel like most people post things on fb just to get like-minded people to agree with them. Not to start a true debate. I do not think most people's mind are going to be changed based on a comment on fb.

    Also the religion. I cannot understand anyone actually caring about the candidate's religion. I know that to an extent, it may affect their policies, but then dislike their policies, not their religion. I went through the same thing during the primaries when Rick Santorum was open about his faith as a Catholic. Part of me was proud to see a fellow Catholic taking such a big stand, but it made it open-season on Catholic-bashing. I saw several posts that were just flat out wrong about our religion. I would often comment to correct false statements, but still tried to stay out of it.

    I love politics. I minored in political science in college. However, the older I get, the less patience I have for all of the partisan fighting. Kentucky is pretty much a lock for Romney, so neither candidate is wasting too much advertising money in KY. Unfortunately, we are a suburb of Cincinnati, OH and get Cinci television channels. Since Ohio is such a battleground state, each side is running tons of commercials. I now dread watching tv with the kids, especially Will. The little kids pretty much ignore the commercials, but Will watches and asks lots of questions. I tell him what his father and I believe, but it is really hard to stand for what we believe while trying to be respectful to both sides. I don't want to raise him to believe that we are right and the other side are bad guys. Very difficult line to walk...

    Anyway, sorry about the super long comment. This is something that has really been weighing heavily on my mind. I am so ready for this election to be over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I try to tell the kids without bashing the other side as well. OK it's probably pretty easy to deduct that I'm a Republican. That being said, our current president is a democrat and I don't want to bash the president to our kids. I do tell them what we believe but I agree with you - that I want them to grow up and make decisions for themselves, not just vote a certain way because I do.

      As for the religion, yes, it really irks me. And yes, Catholics get bashed too. But people seem to really take delight in the Mormon bashing. After a lifetime of it, it's getting old. But it's kind of good that Romney running has brought it into the forefront of things. Maybe people's perceptions will finally make a huge adjustment.

      I try to tell my kids regarding the two sides that both sides mean well and are trying to do what they think is right. I tell them that if there were easy solutions to the nation's problems then it would be no issue. But the problems are complex and there are different ways to address them. Then I tell them why their dad and I think the way we do. The name-calling and anger is what I can't stand. Tired of it. Don't think that's going to go away any time soon.

      Delete