Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Letting Go


I've finally decided to let the big girls ride the bus. While most moms probably think I'm being ridiculous, for me it was a big thing. Putting them in the care of a bus driver. A virtual stranger. On top of that there are no seat belts. That really bothers me. The bus takes these backroads, and I can just imagine the bus going into the ditch. All that being said, these are not things I expect to happen.

Then there's the whole issue of BIG kids on the bus. I really don't want my girls learning bad language or asking questions about stuff I'm not ready to discuss with them, but they have asked to ride the bus for a long time. Next year the little girls will be starting kindergarten and I definitely don't want my kindergarteners on the bus, so it was now or never.

Oddly, at the last minute Kaitlyn didn't want to ride it afterall. We made a compromise that I would take them in the morning and the bus can bring them home. She was thrilled with that arrangement. And then after just a few days she and Mackenzie started riding in the morning. I think the morning will just depend on how fast they get moving that day (like today it was a no go). But so far all is working out. It's amazing how much time it saves me, especially on preschool days because I don't waste as much time driving back and forth.

And most importantly, they are getting to experience the bus. While I want to protect them, I don't want to rob them of experiences. I also know that as they are getting older, the nature of things discussed on the bus, are going to be things they hear about one place or another, and the questions will be coming one way or another. So I have to let them experience the world, a little bit at a time. And I have to allow them to spread their wings a little more. That makes them responsible. If you never let your children do anything then they can freak out and can make bad decisions when they get older. It's baby steps, for them, and for me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh...i so remember this feeling when i let Miss Teen first begin riding the bus to and from school...she is now 16 and i still get moments i hate to tell you!
    The letting go concept is so hard sometimes isn't it? I just talked about that in my last post re driving lessons!
    Sounds like to you are taking some big baby steps there Mama...well done you! I do remember it making things a lot easier so hope it does for you too xx

    ReplyDelete