I had this idea to write this post over two years ago, and recently these thoughts have come back to mind as I read a terrific blog about infertility the other day. A few years ago, I had 4 very young children and felt like I couldn't even come up for air.
I remember having many thoughts such as these:
Remember when you could sleep in past 6:30am? Or at least sleep in once in a while to catch up?
Remember what it was like to not be exhausted 24/7?
Remember when you went to restaurants that didn't specialize in happy meals?
Remember when you ate your food hot?
Remember when you sat in church and actually listened and felt the Holy Spirit while you were there?
Remember when you could listen to your favorite radio station in the car?
Remember when you watched TV for hours at night after work?
Remember when you could get snacks whenever you wanted without worrying about if the little people would see you and come running?
Remember when you could shop whenever you needed to (assuming you had the money)?
Remember when you could spend an afternoon trying on jeans (a difficult chore for any woman)?
Remember when you could get in and out of the car in a flash?
Remember when you carried a normal-sized purse?
Remember when you could wear a bikini and didn't have to worry about stretch marks and saggy skin?
Remember when your car was clean?
Remember when you drove down the road without all the screaming and yelling?
Remember when you could walk through your living room without tripping over toys?
Remember when you didn't have 50 blankets thrown around all over the house?
Remember when you went out on date night every Friday and Saturday night?
Remember when you slept without worry, or without one ear always open?
Yes, these were all thoughts I had when my kids were little. But every time I had thoughts like those, they were quickly replaced (after a little rest) with new thoughts.
Remember when date night had gotten old because you did the same old thing?
Remember when weekends were often boring?
Remember when your house was bigger than you needed?
Remember how hard it was to cook for two people?
Remember how much you loved family movies and never had an excuse to see them?
Remember how you loved kids' snacks too and rarely ever ate them?
Remember how boring holidays had gotten without children around to make them magical?
Remember how life started feeling a little empty, like something was missing?
Remember sitting in church and seeing so many families and thinking about how you lacked the one thing you desired most?
Remember going to work every day and pretending to like it when all you really wanted to do was be a stay-at-home mom?
Remember going to work every day and pretending to like it when all you really wanted to do was be a stay-at-home mom?
Remember when you thought you'd give anything just to have kids?
Remember all those doctor appointments, the tests, the probing, the medications, the money spent, the negative pregnancy tests, the heartbreak?
Remember finding out you were finally going to be a mom?
Remember your first Mother's Day?
Remember the first time your kids made you something at school?
Remember their first dance recital?
Remember all the times they finally achieved something they didn't think they could do (In fact just today Ashley finally was able to pump her own swing!)
Remember the first time they said "I love you" back.
Yes, these are all things to remember.
I remember all these things. The good and the bad. On the days when we feel like we are drowning and just need a break, just know that the good memories will stand out in your mind far more than the bad, and also know that those difficult days are not forever. With my kids now nearly 9 and 5, those drowning days are largely behind me. And I think we've entered the golden years of parenting - no babies, no tweens or teens. Just fun kids. Sure, they have their attitude, but these are the years of making memories. And now I sleep in nearly every Saturday. Life is good. Busy, but good. And I'm thankful. I'm blessed.
Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:
Post a Comment