Monday, July 21, 2014

Winding Down the School Year

So May is insane. Someone once said when you're a mom, May is like a silent December - just as busy but others don't realize it. Every end of the year "thing" imaginable. Teacher appreciation stuff that goes on all month. Awards ceremonies. Programs. Recitals. Plus trying to do everything you can do before the little dear ones are glued to your side for the next 2 1/2 months. 

So in addition to the big recital and my big birthday, here's a glimpse of the many other happenings in May as the school year wound down (or should I say spiraled!).

Mackenzie had another piano recital. She's doing great really. She's ready to quit taking lessons though. I keep telling her to take through 5th grade. I hate to see her stop where she's at when I know she can keep going.


Mother's Day - 3 generations!


Swim team started - yippee! We had to go to a different pool for most of the swim season due to our swim team pool being renovated. I actually liked this pool a lot. It was crazy fitting swim team into our already full schedule.


Cultural week at school. Where we live it is so diverse that our kids actually feel left out because they don't have a strong heritage from other countries. What can I say - all their ancestors were European and had been in America for quite some time. Mackenie dressed American - why not? Kaitlyn was Scottish, Reagan Scottish, and Ashley could not have been more delighted to be Czech-German and wear her perfectly styled Rapunzel dress!


Kaitlyn and Mackenzie FINALLY got to be in a school production. Our school has no type of talent show or play until 4th grade (big pet peeve of mine). But they were in a 4th grade play called Summer Camp. Mackenzie was a camper with an acting part and Kaitlyn had a brief solo part as a counselor.


Just a few days later, the 4th grade had a talent show. Kaitlyn and her BFF Isabella and their other good friend Hannah did a magic show! Kaitlyn and Isabella presented tricks while Hannah played the piano. It was something different and I think the kids enjoyed their act a lot. Kaitlyn loves doing her magic tricks and she also through a bit of a contortionist move in at the end to wow the crowd. What a little character she is!


Mackenzie and I choreographed a lyrical solo to "Let It Go." We made the whole thing up in just over a day and she learned and then performed it that week. It wasn't something we could prepare for because she had been busy focusing on her real recital the whole time. The dance was very pretty and I was HUGELY proud of her for putting herself out there and doing this alone. 

Of course, the day of was a bit insane. It really deserves its own blog post but in the interest of catching up this will have to do. So I was worried the whole time because I had cut and spliced her music and I was afraid it wouldn't play through on the disc I gave them. When I asked them to check before the show started, I found out they weren't using the disc I gave them at all! I about had a fit. Apparently they just downloaded Let It Go from iTunes and thought they would use that! Excuse me - clearly the people making that decision understand nothing about the dance and performance world! They did not understand why she couldn't just dance to what they had and end it and fade out the music when her dance had ended. Um, no......we choreographed it to go with all the little ins and outs of my edited version. They had to move her (and Kaitlyn's act) to the end while Mike and I ran home to burn a new CD, given that none of us could find the CD we had given the teachers. Then as we were flying home in the mini-van missing the rest of the talent show, a Christmas CD I had in the CD player came on and we just started laughing. What a ridiculous hour it was - like something straight out of a sitcom! 

Needless to say, we made it back just in time, both acts were fabulous and it all worked out. Again I was super proud of Mackenzie. That took real guts! She did a beautiful job too! She's never done lyrical before and everything was so graceful. (Oh, and the stupid canoe was still onstage from the camp play from the week before. Why would nobody move that for the talent show? Amateurs!)


Then...we had a movie night party for Mackenzie's dance company! These girls were crazy but I think they all had a ton of fun!



 Then we had a week of rain that caused a lot of cancellations. Canceled field trip for the 4th grade, canceled our girl scout camping trip, and moved field day indoors. Boo! It really was a bummer but what are you going to do. Here are some of the indoor relays from indoor field day.



I was greatly pleased though that the school rescheduled a few of the fun outdoor stuff the next week. (Not sure why they couldn't just swap the whole field day with a day the next week. Other school's did it. Who knows?)

I was glad though that the little girls got to experience the belly bumpers and the water games.


They loved it when the teachers sprayed water on them from off the roof!


Yes, the end of the school year is still going (though we are now into June). Awards day for kindergarten and another awards day for 4th grade. Here's one of those twin advantages - 4 kids but 2 grades so we can double up some of our commitments.

Ashley received the Writers Award in addition to her year-end awards. Both she and Reagan received a kindergarten certificate and Texas Readers Club award. 

























And that, my friends, wraps up the school year! I can't believe my littles are through with kindergarten and will be in 1st grade. And I can't believe my bigs are going to be big 5th graders. Is that really possible that they only have one more year of elementary? Wow. I can't say that it has flown by because those many first years were long and hard, but once they hit elementary school, it has been passing rather quickly. Glad I am documenting it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment