Monday, July 14, 2014

The Big 4-0



Yep. It happened. The big one. I already wrote a few months ago my thoughts as I was approaching 40 (Thoughts on 40). But the actual day? I have to say I'm glad it's over.

There seems to be this unspoken pressure about celebrating turning 40. I'm pretty sure for the last 7 or 8 years, I envisioned this big bash where we would dance the night away. Dancing. That's what I want. But yet I've known forever that most of my friends DON'T want that. It sucks really. I MISS dancing - any kind. Country, top 40... I miss those days.  But no one to dance with. 

Mike whipped together a last-minute dinner celebration, but apparently it must have been on the worst night ever. Truly it was. I was happy to celebrate with friends but it was kind of a small, random group so hopefully they had a good time. But when you're a parent, May is an insane month. There's always something to go to for your kids. So I understand, but it was still strange that so many people couldn't make it. That's just the way it goes sometimes. It was dinner with friends, which was great, but it wasn't a 40's bash. But I hated how everyone kept going, "so are you going to do something big for your birthday?" "Do you have big plans?" That's what I mean. The pressure! And then having to look at Facebook and everybody all year long with their big 40th birthday stuff. 

So the truth is, I'm glad it's over. This way I can just go back to my life and enjoy the day to day. Seriously though, I appreciate the friends we had dinner with. We actually had a good time and if we'd just called it a dinner date that probably would have been more appropriate. And let's face it - a night out with my man and good friends are usually more fun than anything else anyway.

My kids made some really cute cards - 



Oh, and while Mike was giving the kids rides on his shoulders, I got one too! That was scary, and funny, and weird. I felt like I was about 20 feet tall! (Oh, and seeing this picture reminds me to mention too - look at my gorgeous necklace if you can see it! A real blue topaz! That was my special gift from Mike for my big milestone birthday!. I completely love it!)


So onto 40. Thankful for every new year, truly. 

Oh yeah, (this is what happens when you write about things so long after) I also must mention that next month I'm having a girls weekend with my college girlfriends. I guess that's kind of our own way of all celebrating 40 together! Good times - miss those gals!

No comments:

Post a Comment