Thursday, February 18, 2010

My 2-yr-old Swallowed a Rock

So, Mike and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary this weekend by spending 2 nights in San Antonio on the Riverwalk.  I cannot even begin to tell you how nice it was.  It really probably wouldn't have mattered what we did.  It was just so nice to have NO responsibilities for 2 days.  We did lots of eating out, shopping, walking the Riverwalk, went to a piano bar, met up with friends, toured the Alamo, and even saw a movie!  All without having to rush home to relieve the babysitter!  At the Alamo we picked up these little drawstring bags of gemstones as souvenirs for the big girls.  It DID cross my mind that these were a choking hazard.  I mean, we don't buy other things that are choking hazards, so why did we buy the gemstones?  Well, because it was our last stop before heading home and we were out of time.  We knew the girls would like them and my little girls don't put too much in their mouths so we went ahead.

We got home Monday afternoon and explained to the big girls the stones needed to be kept away from the babies.  But before we had even found a place for them, Kaitlyn took hers upstairs and then Reagan went off to play and we were still unwinding from the trip.  There was a lot going on in the house.  That's when Kaitlyn came downstairs and told me "Mommy, I have something to tell you and you're not going to like it.  It was an accident. I accidentally left the bag of gemstones open and Reagan got one and swallowed it."  Well, Reagan clearly wasn't choking so I didn't have immediate panic.  I thought maybe Kaitlyn just thought she swallowed it but maybe she really didn't.  So I asked her.  "Reagan, did you eat a rock?"  She answered "Uh huh!  Rock, mouth." with a sort of half smile on her face.  I asked again, "you ate a rock?"  "Uh huh!"  Oh my. I probably would have just assumed it would eventually come out the other end except my mom, the queen worrier of the world, was there.


Instantly she's telling me I need to call the doctor because it can get lodged somewhere in there.  Great.  Well I didn't call and she seemed fine.  Except now she hasn't pooped in 2 days and I'm starting to get worried.  So I'm now waiting on a call from the pediatrician.  I'm sure it will all be fine but really wishing that thing would hurry up and come through.  I was at least glad that Kaitlyn had the courage to come tell me.

Well, gotta go.  They're on the kitchen counter picking up vases with all the Valentine's flowers.  Not good!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! That is quite amazing that she was even able to swallow something like that! I hope that the constipation is not related to the rock....let us know what the doc says! They will probably want to do an x-ray of her abdomen or bowels to see if they can spot it. Poor thing. But it sounded like yall had a FABULOUS anniversary last weekend! How nice that yall were able to do that. Now back to reality....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Well not to be gross but I just changed her dirty diaper (yea!) but still no rock. And then I talked to the doc and they said they wait a week unless something is wrong. Hung up the phone and she starts grabbing her tummy like it's hurting. That's the 2nd time I've seen her do that but then she'll just forget about it and go back to normal. It's probably causing some discomfort I guess. I'm concerned about WHERE it is because she's holding her tummy up pretty high which tells me it hasn't gone very far down. I guess we'll wait a few more days. Geessh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter was about 2.5 I think, when she swallowed a quarter! It got lodged in her throat and they did a procedure to get it out and then went all the way to her tummy and pulled out a nickle and a penny!
    I hope it passes thru and her tummy feels better quick, there is nothing worse then waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it passes soon, if her tummy is bothering her, i would get her checked out just in case. Now if she wasn't complaining or holding her tummy, i would just wait the whole week like they suggested.

    And i have to watch my older boys with stuff like that too but of course they don't always listen and i find the babies with objects that are too small or candy they can't have,etc....

    ReplyDelete